Railroad Forums 

• Cape Flyer

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1118075  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

I believe the track has been upgraded to 30 mph for passenger trains, yes it will be a long slow trip compared to our 70 and 80 mph running, but like CRail said, many passengers would rather sit back in relax on a train than sit on Route 3 and Route 6 for 3 hours. No thank you..... also the grade crossings, almost all have been upgraded with lights and gates. I'll get more detailed answers from an engineer that worked for Mass Coastal and report here. this line has been quietly rebuilt over the last few years
 #1118077  by Red Wing

Now we need a bar car service for this trip and it would be relatively perfect. I do like the bike cars. Question about the bike cars isn't there only one right now? Also how would this affect the Rockport branch in the summer where that car has traditionally been.
 #1118123  by sery2831

As far as the bike cars goes. The thinking here is probably the new Rotem cars will have freed up some single level cars to be converted. This is all dependent on how fast the cars arrive after the pilot cars get approved.

This operation could also be a joint operation with the new owner of the Cape Cod RR. They have some 480v cars on other property's. Maybe they could provide food service.
 #1118212  by wicked

Red Wing wrote:Now we need a bar car service for this trip and it would be relatively perfect.
From the Barnstable Patriot article.

"Helping Cape-bound travelers get in the mood will be concessions on the train once it clears Middleborough/Lakeville."

Any reason why it won't start until after Middleborough? T policy? Are the cars being rented by another agency and thus the T won't allow a cafe car in its service area? This makes no sense to me.
 #1118216  by The EGE

It could be, though it may also be a matter of practicality. In MBTA territory, the train averages a stop every eight minutes, with fast starts and stops. At 30mph for 44 miles with 3 intermediate stops, the train will average a stop every 25 minutes, which is much more amenable to the stand-up nature of food service.
 #1118230  by Teamdriver

Maybe the lounge cars belong to Cape Rail ( Active Equipment Roster http://www.capetrain.com/roster.php ) and because of insurance and alcohol ( if that is going to be served ) liability and licenses, that's the service area.
 #1118287  by sery2831

Teamdriver wrote:Maybe the lounge cars belong to Cape Rail ( Active Equipment Roster http://www.capetrain.com/roster.php ) and because of insurance and alcohol ( if that is going to be served ) liability and licenses, that's the service area.
Just keep in mind the new owner is Iowa Pacific and have many more cars that are compatible with current MBTA equipment.
 #1118451  by djlong

Hey, I wouldn't mind if I was in Boston and it took longer for the train than the car - because of the traffic. That wasn't my point.

My point was it being a longer train ride from Boston than driving from *NH*. Now, in order for me to take the train I either have to drive to Alewife or Lowell and add THAT transit time (Alewife-South Station or Lowell/North Station/Park Street South Station).

Make no mistake, I really want this to succeed. If it's even CLOSE to competitive, I predict I'll be using this service for one-way trips to meet up with my wife on the Cape without having to take extra days off.
 #1118488  by boblothrope

The EGE wrote:It could be, though it may also be a matter of practicality. In MBTA territory, the train averages a stop every eight minutes, with fast starts and stops. At 30mph for 44 miles with 3 intermediate stops, the train will average a stop every 25 minutes, which is much more amenable to the stand-up nature of food service.
Are you saying that the starting and stopping would make a bar car uncomfortable? Plenty of commuter trains have had bar cars, and a few still do (for now, until Metro North retires the remaining ones).

If I were taking this train, I'd want food and a drink right after boarding. I wouldn't want to wait more than an hour.