Railroad Forums 

• Kawasaki Rebuild Program at Alstom

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1450504  by BandA

chrisf wrote:
BandA wrote:The glass is actually Plexiglas, right? And there is clearly photodegradation involved.
They're Lexan or other brand polycarbonate rather than Plexiglas.
Lexan (polycarbonate) apparently generally has greater impact resistance than Plexiglas (poly methyl methacrylate), which is more flexible and has greater tensile strength.
 #1483868  by sonicdoommario

From what I've read, the rebuilt Kawasaki's have Ds next to their car number, but I've seen two Kawasakis (760 and 768) with Ds next to them, but they do not appear to have been rebuilt (unless the LED signs were on the other side of the car). Or am I misreading it? According to the NETransit inventory, they haven't been rebuilt yet.

Also, what is the average time of a rebuild? Still looks like they're finishing up the remains of the first batch of cars.

Also, when a rebuilt car (according to the inventory page) is in testing, who is doing the testing? Alstom or the MBTA using a non-revenue train?

Thanks!