Railroad Forums 

• VRE's 11mi of High Speed Rail (Arkendale - Powell's Creek)

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1319040  by afiggatt

There is a status update on the Arkendale - Powell's Creek 3rd track project that was posted a few weeks back on a redesigned VA DRPT website under Major Rail Initiatives: Arkendale to Powell's Creek. Probably won't be completed until 2017 from the sound of it. Project description on the website:
Arkendale to Powell’s Creek, located in Stafford and Prince William Counties, is the first Virginia part of the Southeast High Speed Rail (SEHSR) Corridor to begin construction. The purpose of the project is to accommodate higher speed passenger rail travel while minimizing interference with freight traffic. The project will consist of 11.4 miles of third track, which will be constructed adjacent to the existing CSX main line. Construction will encompass additional tracks, siding, turnouts, a new platform at Quantico Station, and replacement or modifications to Bauer Road Bridge at the Marine Corps Base Quantico. The work will also include relocation of applicable utilities, earthworks, drainage structures, retaining walls and all associated signal and communications work as needed.

DRPT is the recipient of a $74.8 million American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) Federal Railroad Administration grant. CSX (DRPT’s subgrantee for the project) entered into a design-build contract in mid-2014 with KC Constructors, a consortium of Kiewitt Infrastructure and Corman Construction. Rummel Klepper and Kahl (RKK) will handle all design work. All construction work is required to be finished by the middle of 2017, per the grant requirement.
 #1321235  by Wingnut

I think the thread title is a bit of a misnomer. Three tracks here will definitely relieve congestion and improve OTP but it will hardly turn this stretch into a high speed railroad. I reviewed a line profile for the stretch in question and an upgraded employee TT for this segment would probably look something like this:

MAS: 90 mph

Speed restrictions:

72.9-73.2 70 curve
77.5-78.0 70 curve
79.4-79.7 ?? Quantico. I don't have information for the new double track bridge and adjacent curve but I imagine it's good for more than the old arrangement which had a 55 mph speed limit
81.8-83.5 70 three curves

The curves identified are all around 2 degrees. 70 mph is the fastest speed CSX allows on these curves with conventional equipment. Tilting rolling stock could raise that however.
 #1321243  by Arlington

It was party ironic and partly that the original funding for this was from the same HSR act that funded Wisconsin, Florida, Ohio, et al.
 #1321258  by Literalman

Late in 2014, I attended a public meeting about DC-to-Richmond rail. At the meeting, I mentioned that Dale Zehner, when he was head of VRE, had told me that VRE had on plans to run faster than 70 on the new track. One of the meeting hosts told me that the new track would be capable of 79 (which was the speed limit in 1970, before Amtrak), and that eventually they might see what they could do to raise the limit to 90. High speed? No. The project was funded with "high speed" money, but it might never host high-speed trains.
 #1325422  by Wingnut

Literalman wrote:Late in 2014, I attended a public meeting about DC-to-Richmond rail. At the meeting, I mentioned that Dale Zehner, when he was head of VRE, had told me that VRE had on plans to run faster than 70 on the new track. One of the meeting hosts told me that the new track would be capable of 79 (which was the speed limit in 1970, before Amtrak), and that eventually they might see what they could do to raise the limit to 90. High speed? No. The project was funded with "high speed" money, but it might never host high-speed trains.
OK, that makes sense. Still, it rubs a lot of us the wrong way when conventional and mid-speed rail projects are touted as "high" speed. In general the RF&P corridor is conducive to 79-80 mph running north of Fredericksburg with stretches of 90 mph south to Richmond. The Class I's have convincingly demonstrated that sustained speeds over 90 mph on moderate to heavy use freight tracks is out of the question (95-100 on CN in VIA's corridor notwithstanding).
 #1325500  by twropr

Back when VA was awarded the ARRA money, I asked VPRT about higher speeds on the Arkendale-Powells Creek segment. I was told that it would go into service at 70 and that higher speeds would not take effect until long segments are upgraded to 90,

Andy
 #1385227  by Arlington

Any progress in the last 13 months on this? Recent news on the Spotsy third track implied both that this was "next up" but also was pretty silent on actual goings on.
 #1385626  by Literalman

Yes, construction is proceeding. I commute on this line, but only in the past few weeks have I been riding in daylight. A new bridge over Chopawamsic Creek on the Marine Corps base is under construction, in places there is new track in place, and in other places the grading looks unfinished. Still a lot of work to do.
 #1432087  by Arlington

Literalman wrote:Yes, construction is proceeding. I commute on this line, but only in the past few weeks have I been riding in daylight. A new bridge over Chopawamsic Creek on the Marine Corps base is under construction, in places there is new track in place, and in other places the grading looks unfinished. Still a lot of work to do.
ONE YEAR LATER....Is it done yet? If not, why? If so, Has it made any difference in OTP or speeds?
 #1433761  by Literalman

I believe you're right. At the Va. Assn. of Ry. Patrons meeting April 1, I was sure I heard Va. Dept. of Rail and Public Transportation chief Jennifer Mitchell say that the project was now 10 miles instead of 11. Shortening it doesn't make sense to me if Va. is really going to triple-track the whole line from Washington to Fredericksburg or even Richmond.