Railroad Forums 

• MARC station parking and proposed closings

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#237752  by Nyterider

What are the four stations proposed for discontinuance again, Jessup, St. Denis, Boyds, and Dickerson? It's kinda hard to believe their combined ridership is only 41. I'd like to know what it is for each stop. The contributor to the Wikipedia VRE article gives boardings for all of their stations but not MARC's.

St. Denis is probably too close to Halethorpe and the Penn Line's all-day service to compete. I don't know what to attribute the low ridership at the other stations to. I've also noticed large parking expansions were completed at Halethorpe and underway at Odenton. What will the parking capacity be at these stations when they're done?

Finally, when are these stations scheduled to close now? I know they were going to close at the beginning of March but they were given a reprieve.
 #237809  by rafi

Nyterider wrote:What are the four stations proposed for discontinuance again, Jessup, St. Denis, Boyds, and Dickerson? It's kinda hard to believe their combined ridership is only 41. I'd like to know what it is for each stop. The contributor to the Wikipedia VRE article gives boardings for all of their stations but not MARC's.

St. Denis is probably too close to Halethorpe and the Penn Line's all-day service to compete. I don't know what to attribute the low ridership at the other stations to. I've also noticed large parking expansions were completed at Halethorpe and underway at Odenton. What will the parking capacity be at these stations when they're done?

Finally, when are these stations scheduled to close now? I know they were going to close at the beginning of March but they were given a reprieve.
Actually, they decided to not close them after all:

From MTAmaryland.com:
(HANOVER, MD) – Transportation Secretary Robert L. Flanagan today announced four MARC commuter rail stations being considered for closure due to low ridership will remain open. The four stations are the Boyd and Dickerson stations on the Brunswick Line and the Jessup and St. Denis stations on the Camden Line. "In light of the anticipated passage of Senate Bill 366 requiring the stations to remain open, we believe it is unfair to our MARC riders to leave them with a feeling of uncertainty about the status of the Boyds, Dickerson, Jessup and St. Denis stations," said Secretary Flanagan. Secretary Flanagan also announced he will establish an advisory committee that will consist of MARC riders to review this issue and assist the Maryland Department of Transportation in complying with the legislative requirements of Senate Bill 366 and any other bill affecting MARC service. "Members of the advisory committee will be tasked with conferring with local officials, CSX and other interested parties," added Secretary Flanagan. "I will rely heavily on their recommendations. In the coming days, I will be soliciting expressions of interest from MARC riders who are willing to serve on this committee."