Railroad Forums 

• VRE's Gallery Cars

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#190739  by davinp

The 45 Metra Galleries are an inexpensive stop-gap
- Not intended to be long-term solution - cost more to operate
- Only a 10 percent spare ratio
- Must have a plan to retire as early as possible
- Around 2010, Metra Galleries begin to become unusable
- By 2015, ALL 50 new rail cars will replace either the leased Sounder or a Metra Gallery car

#190997  by Scotty Burkhardt

And????

Keep in mind that they were a $1.00 investment. The whole point in buying them was a solution to a short term problem. The Sounder cars are going back alot sooner than 2015.

#192550  by VRELackie

the last sounder sets will be GONE by february.

i know people that will NOT be sad to see them go ... i hate working on them... and sourcing parts for the pillboxes suck, they are always in demand and mosty often are on backorder from canada....

#193554  by therock

For clarification - you do mean February, 2007, correct?

VRELackie wrote:the last sounder sets will be GONE by february.

i know people that will NOT be sad to see them go ... i hate working on them... and sourcing parts for the pillboxes suck, they are always in demand and mosty often are on backorder from canada....

#193622  by VRELackie

therock wrote:For clarification - you do mean February, 2007, correct?

VRELackie wrote:the last sounder sets will be GONE by february.

the original lease has them gone by feb 2006... but there is an option to be gone by dec 2006 ...

there are some issues putting the new KRC gallery refits into service to replace the sounders... but they are SUPPOSED to (according to the powers that be at VRE) gone by 2/2006

#193785  by therock

The lease for both of the sets was extended with the earlier one to July, (and since operational testing has yet to begin on the newer rebuilds), I reconfirmed that the Sounder sets will likely remain in use at least through the mid to late spring, and then we'll have to see after that.
VRELackie wrote:
the original lease has them gone by feb 2006... but there is an option to be gone by dec 2006 ...

there are some issues putting the new KRC gallery refits into service to replace the sounders... but they are SUPPOSED to (according to the powers that be at VRE) gone by 2/2006

#194639  by VRELackie

therock wrote:The lease for both of the sets was extended with the earlier one to July, (and since operational testing has yet to begin on the newer rebuilds), I reconfirmed that the Sounder sets will likely remain in use at least through the mid to late spring, and then we'll have to see after that.
VRELackie wrote:

i see those rebuild cars in our yard every day ...

anything 450 or higher is a KRC rebuild... there are a bunch in service... so my question is which rebuids are you talking about?

i don't have much to do with the sounders other than i know that 308 tripped a hot box detector for some reason 2 weeks ago, three days in a row but was mechanically sound. So i'll have to go with you on the lease.

#195242  by therock

We're talking about the same ones (the most recent Yonkers refurb's). Of the "newer" 35, I had seen that there were about a half-dozen (?) or so cars that were not active yet - aren't they still in Yonkers, or were they parts sources? The roster lists them (for the total of 50), but there are only 30 or so in active service per day. And the even with the rebuilds, the oldest have the mandatory retirement date of 2008, right?

Speaking of the Sounders, I see that the lease is now proposed to be extended to 2007. I guess the Sumitomo cars might start arriving by then?
VRELackie wrote:
i see those rebuild cars in our yard every day ...

anything 450 or higher is a KRC rebuild... there are a bunch in service... so my question is which rebuids are you talking about?

i don't have much to do with the sounders other than i know that 308 tripped a hot box detector for some reason 2 weeks ago, three days in a row but was mechanically sound. So i'll have to go with you on the lease.

#195579  by VRELackie

the new gallery cars are supposed to start arriving 8/06 according to the schedule, but i do not see them being 100% on time

we are working our way through actionitems diligently ... but there are somethings that might be snags.

yes the lease has been optioned out to 2/2007 as far as i know, as of the MEC meeting yesterday.

there were some parts cars up in yonkers that WERE cab cars that are being converted to trailer only use (having the cab rooms welded shut basically.

so yes there are soem still at yonkers, the last 2 trailer rerubs left yonkers on 12/2/05

#195580  by VRELackie

the new gallery cars are supposed to start arriving 8/06 according to the schedule, but i do not see them being 100% on time

we are working our way through actionitems diligently ... but there are somethings that might be snags.

yes the lease has been optioned out to 2/2007 as far as i know, as of the MEC meeting yesterday.

there were some parts cars up in yonkers that WERE cab cars that are being converted to trailer only use (having the cab rooms welded shut basically.

so yes there are soem still at yonkers, the last 2 trailer rerubs left yonkers on 12/2/05