Railroad Forums 

• WMATA work train locomotives

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1500202  by RailVet

In 1993 the DC Metro had five ex-military centercab locomotives for work trains -- four GEs and one Davenport. I saw the latter that year in the yard in Alexandria and an employee said they were leery about taking it into the tunnels again because its roof had scraped the tunnel ceiling during its last move. I think that locomotive was later scrapped in Alexandria. Although these locomotives wore various numbers over the years, this one is listed as having L012 as its last number.

About a decade ago two more locomotives, L001 and L011, were scrapped in the yard near the Greenbelt Metro Station. These had been out of service and parked for some time.

That left L002 and L012. The former was repainted from yellow to blue and white in 2012 but I haven't seen anything on the latter. Is the L012 still on the roster, or has it been disposed of (scrapped, sold, etc.)? Also, are there any other such locomotives on the system now?
 #1500257  by RailVet

Thanks, John! Do you know what might have happened to L012, the only one not accounted for yet? I suspect it was scrapped locally, but I have nothing to confirm it.
 #1500355  by mtuandrew

At some point in the last five years I could have sworn I saw a 44-tonner at Alexandria Yard, driving by on the Eisenhower Avenue side. I haven’t since, and would have trouble seeing it through hurricane fence and new condos.
 #1500477  by RailVet

I made a typo earlier. L001, L011, L012, and L021 are the ones that appear to be scrapped. L012 disappeared when I wasn't looking and is presumed scrapped. The lone survivor is now L002. Here's a rare picture of it online:

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=79389" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Scroll down to the bottom of the page.)

Here's a picture of L001, now scrapped:

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/wmataL001.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1500555  by Sand Box John

wmataL001.jpg

FYI, that picture was taken by me with a Nikon EM 35mm SLR. The slide was scanned and originally uploaded to my ISP subscriber web site back in the 1990s. The locomotive is spotted on track 4B adjacent to the Facilities Maintenance Building at New Carrollton Yard.
 #1501736  by JDC

Sand Box John wrote:wmataL001.jpg

FYI, that picture was taken by me with a Nikon EM 35mm SLR. The slide was scanned and originally uploaded to my ISP subscriber web site back in the 1990s. The locomotive is spotted on track 4B adjacent to the Facilities Maintenance Building at New Carrollton Yard.
Awesome shot.
 #1502078  by mtuandrew

Walked past Alexandria Yard today on my way to Eisenhower Metro (long story, apartment damage means we’re at a hotel) and while I saw plenty of self propelled equipment, I couldn’t see anything that looked like their center cab GE. Could be inside a building, could be out of view, but I suspect the princess is in another yard.

Did get a good look at their Plasser American rail train though, and that was worth the walk.
 #1502237  by RailVet

I suspect the remaining locomotive is parked in Greenbelt when it's not service, although it may do overnights at other locations when doing extended work in a specific area. If you look at the Greenbelt yard in Google Earth you can see the work locomotive parked there.