WMATA Automatic Train Control

Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, Robert Paniagua, therock

mtuandrew

Re: Metro to return to ATO.

Post by mtuandrew » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:06 pm

daybeers wrote:YES! FINALLY! I don't quite understand why they're only going to be operating it during rush hours though. And why aren't they having six-car trains stop at the center of platforms?
Rush Hour only, probably because that’s where the most capacity can be gained. Doesn’t matter if a midday train is 30 seconds early or late.

As for front-of-platform stops, it’s probably much easier to program a common stop point regardless of car type or train length. Or, maybe Wiedefeld just wants commuters at L’Enfant to take up sprinting :P

STrRedWolf

Re: Metro to return to ATO.

Post by STrRedWolf » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:05 pm

mtuandrew wrote:
daybeers wrote:YES! FINALLY! I don't quite understand why they're only going to be operating it during rush hours though. And why aren't they having six-car trains stop at the center of platforms?
Rush Hour only, probably because that’s where the most capacity can be gained. Doesn’t matter if a midday train is 30 seconds early or late.

As for front-of-platform stops, it’s probably much easier to program a common stop point regardless of car type or train length. Or, maybe Wiedefeld just wants commuters at L’Enfant to take up sprinting :P
That, and the manual operation has them going all the way up anyway (too many incidents). It was simpler to just have them go all the way up instead of stopping in the middle because it meant all of the train (6 or 8 cars) were matching the platform.
"The last and final stop is BALTIMORE PENN STATION." I can has MARC V?

KTHW

Re: WMATA Automatic Train Control

Post by KTHW » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:20 am

I think WMATA has officially implemented ATO during rush hour again. Silver Line ride this morning was exceptionally smooth even with Excel/Decel in and out of station, and doors were opening the second the train came to a complete stop. My ride ended up being 10mins shorter than usual. I forgot how nice ATO is!

daybeers

Post by daybeers » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:13 pm

KTHW wrote:I think WMATA has officially implemented ATO during rush hour again. Silver Line ride this morning was exceptionally smooth even with Excel/Decel in and out of station, and doors were opening the second the train came to a complete stop. My ride ended up being 10mins shorter than usual. I forgot how nice ATO is!
That's wonderful to hear!

srepetsk

Post by srepetsk » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:16 am

KTHW wrote:I think WMATA has officially implemented ATO during rush hour again. Silver Line ride this morning was exceptionally smooth even with Excel/Decel in and out of station, and doors were opening the second the train came to a complete stop. My ride ended up being 10mins shorter than usual. I forgot how nice ATO is!
Auto-Doors is in certification, but ATO has not yet been reenabled.

KTHW

Post by KTHW » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:02 pm

Thanks for the heads up, must of just had a the luck of a good day for WMATA. Related to this topic, what’s up with trains having to “adjust to the platform”? Sometimes a train stops 3-4 times while pulling in or out of a station.

mtuandrew

Post by mtuandrew » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:36 pm

KTHW wrote:Thanks for the heads up, must of just had a the luck of a good day for WMATA. Related to this topic, what’s up with trains having to “adjust to the platform”? Sometimes a train stops 3-4 times while pulling in or out of a station.
Have wondered that myself - might be the specific operators, but it also seems linked to 7k cars as I haven’t had this experience on 2/3k or 6k cars.

Robert Paniagua

Post by Robert Paniagua » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:16 am

I wonder if and when ATC/ATO will resume in Metro
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations

Backshophoss

Post by Backshophoss » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:17 pm

What has worked for BART,as had not done well for WMATA,and in some cases failed with Fatalities.
It is possible that the whole automation system is so outdated it wont interface with the 7K's.
Are there segments that have operated with the ATO back online?
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

Sand Box John

Post by Sand Box John » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:20 pm

"Backshophoss"
What has worked for BART,as had not done well for WMATA,and in some cases failed with Fatalities.

Comparing BART to WMATA is like comparing apples to oranges. Yes both provide for automatic operation, however the way it is implemented is different.

It is possible that the whole automation system is so outdated it wont interface with the 7K's.

The 7ks hear the same coded signals transmitted through the rails from wayside as the older rolling stock. The only difference is the electronics that converts those signal into acceleration, breaking and ok to open doors.

It is important to remember, Automatic Train Operation is a 100 percent train board function. Wayside simply enforces the safe spacing of trains by transmitting the appropriate speed command or no speed command.
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.

Return to “DC - Maryland - Virginia Area Passenger Rail: MTA(MARC), VRE, WMATA(Metro)”