Railroad Forums 

• All 4000 series railcars being pulled from service

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1409832  by Chris Brown

Not only are they rare events, but they also don't make 6 car trains a problem. You either break the train up into 2 or 4 cars... which is what would happen with an 8 car train anyway.

So again.. there is no good reason why 7k's can't run as 6 car trains. From my understanding.. the REAL reason is Metro wants to justify power upgrades for moving to 100% 8-car train operation. That is probably the only reason. Whether that is a "good" reason is subjective.
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Edit to delete nesting quotes of immediately preceding posts.
 #1410341  by MCL1981

They're not good reasons according to YOU. But they're good reasons to everyone at Metro that's responsible for the operating, maintaining, and working with the equipment. If they all don't think it's a good idea, I would take their word for it before someone on the internet that just wants to see a few additional trains, and thinks because it technically could be done, it should be done.
 #1410377  by Chris Brown

MCL1981 wrote:They're not good reasons according to YOU. But they're good reasons to everyone at Metro that's responsible for the operating, maintaining, and working with the equipment. If they all don't think it's a good idea, I would take their word for it before someone on the internet that just wants to see a few additional trains, and thinks because it technically could be done, it should be done.
The same people at Metro who have lead it into a death spiral over the last few years?.. I should just "take their word for it"? Fat chance.

A wise man once said: "When something doesn't make any sense its usually not true". The same logic applies to these reasons given not to run 7k cars as 6 car trains. None of the reasons make sense. Therefore, I don't buy them. I think it all boils down to Metro trying to get power upgrades for 100% 8 car operation. Which is great. But lets just call a spade a spade.
 #1410400  by Sand Box John

"Chris Brown"
I think it all boils down to Metro trying to get power upgrades for 100% 8 car operation.

You don't need power upgrades on a railroad that runs 100% 8 car trains at 20 trains per hour. You do if you were running 25 or more train per hour, but that is moot because when all is said and done WMATA will still not have enough rolling stock to run 100% 8 car trains at anywhere near 25 train per hour.
 #1410866  by Robert Paniagua

Ive liked the 4Ks to lead in the front, they are the same exact age as the MBTA 01800 Bombardier-built Red Line cars, which have had no issues, but I hope they can work things out here with the WMATA 4Ks and restore them to normal function and I also feel they should be able to lead on trains, I don't understand why they are now no longer allowed to put on and end of a train.

I also hope the 7Ks get in much quicker or if not, retire some 4Ks, if they cant resolve the latest issue with them