Railroad Forums 

• WMATA 1K Series Rollsign

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1413665  by smallfire85

srepetsk wrote:
Sand Box John wrote: We can safely assume the revenue collection train carries a 9XX number?
The revenue collection trains carry 5xx train IDs. I'm not sure if there's any history behind why, though.
It's possible they are given 5xx IDs because they are based out of Alexandria Yard and it was simpler to tie them to the Blue line.
 #1414164  by farecard

My understanding was that fonts could not be copyrighted, only their names could be protected. That's why so many ~identical ones have different names.

But best ask an Intellectual Property attorney....
 #1414435  by dcmike

FYI a parity bit is no longer used on any of the destination sign systems. That trainline was reassgined to the 80s bit to allow for destination codes up to 99. Theoretically higher values could be stored but the input hardware and display on the operator's console is limited to two digits.
 #1414479  by Sand Box John

"dcmike"
FYI a parity bit is no longer used on any of the destination sign systems. That trainline was reassgined to the 80s bit to allow for destination codes up to 99. Theoretically higher values could be stored but the input hardware and display on the operator's console is limited to two digits.

So for my recreated sign roll artwork I should remove the parity stripe to be compatible with the existing rolling stock?

Mind you all of the codes that would use the 80s bit in today's schema are non revenue destination codes that display No Passengers.
 #1415783  by smallfire85

Sand Box John wrote:"dcmike"

So for my recreated sign roll artwork I should remove the parity stripe to be compatible with the existing rolling stock?

Mind you all of the codes that would use the 80s bit in today's schema are non revenue destination codes that display No Passengers.
It's your sign, do as you please ;-)

I think you can improvise, making the assumption that rollsigns made it to the silver line opening. You can reassign the parity bit to read CV 80 (which you would remove on your Ashburn sign) and do the math from there.

I will say that given that Metro replaced the rollsigns with digital signs in the late 1980s, the parity bit would be obsolete by then since you don't need to confirm the position of a digital sign.

However, one can sacrifice the parity for the sake of additional readings. You only have to make sure that your curtains are in good shape
 #1415795  by Sand Box John

"smallfire85"
It's your sign, do as you please ;-)

I think you can improvise, making the assumption that rollsigns made it to the silver line opening. You can reassign the parity bit to read CV 80 (which you would remove on your Ashburn sign) and do the math from there.

I will say that given that Metro replaced the rollsigns with digital signs in the late 1980s, the parity bit would be obsolete by then since you don't need to confirm the position of a digital sign.

However, one can sacrifice the parity for the sake of additional readings. You only have to make sure that your curtains are in good shape

I was more then 3/4 of the way through creating the artwork when dcmike made mention of the retiring of the parity bit so I left them in place. I finished make the last one yesterday. Didn't bother with the ones above 74. Going to get a proof print of the Shady Grove sign on 8 1/2" X 11" at Fedex Kinkos today to see what it looks like as I don't have a working color printer. If it looks good I will at sometime in the future dust off and calibrate my HP DesignJet 755CM and print them full size.

I had to resize the strip map text down on the Ashburn, Largo and New Carrollton Silver line signs as 1/2" text won't fit within the margins without over lapping.