Railroad Forums 

• Live Map

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1399270  by wrivlin

With the rollout of WiFi in some core stations, Metro now also has a live and geographically accurate map of train locations (except no pax trains). Interestingly, you can't get to it from the WMATA website, just from the station WiFi splash screen. But you can bookmark that link and it still works! Here's the link: http://gis.wmata.com/metrotrain/index.html
Thoughts?

*update: link corrected*
Last edited by wrivlin on Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1399474  by schmod

Interesting, you couldn't build something like this with the public train position API, because WMATA haven't released geographic coordinates (or chaining distances) of the track circuits.
 #1400756  by srepetsk

davinp wrote:You can get a live map from the DC Metro Hero Android App

Here is the real time Google Map
http://www.dcmetrohero.com/realtime-map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Updated just a couple days ago so the train animations will update when it moves from block to block, too!
 #1400798  by wrivlin

Still isn't geographically accurate though. The MetroHero one is only straight lines between stations, which doesn't give you a true sense of where your train actually is.
 #1420553  by Sand Box John

The guy that administrates dcmetrohero.com has created a model board of WMATA that shows the position of trains in real time.

From Real-time, (mostly) to-scale circuit map of the Metrorail system:

Goal: create a to-scale representation of the entire Metrorail system, sort of like what WMATA ROCC has at their disposal, but for everyone and leveraging all the information MetroHero already collects about trains and train movement.

After a couple weeks worth of work, I think I got close!: dcmetrohero.com/circuit-map
(if prompted to update the app at the bottom of the page, please tap 'Yes!' to make sure you're viewing the correct version of the map--or refresh the page twice if you haven't used MetroHero in a while and don't get a prompt)

Notes:
  • Tap on a train to get its calculated estimated speed (if available), what track circuit it's currently on, etc.
  • Each black notch in a line indicates where a virtual track circuit begins or ends. Some virtual track circuits map to the same physical circuit, e.g. at track switches. In those cases, I've scaled the virtual circuits down in length to maintain accurate scale with the physical circuits they partially represent.
  • Text like "A14-1" below an individual circuit indicates it's at a station platform (e.g. A14, i.e. Rockville, track 1). Station platforms with more than one circuit have been combined for simplicity.
  • I don't have track circuit lengths for most non-revenue track, which is why most crossovers and interlockings and whatnot look a little weird. If I were to get these, I could fold them into this system to make those areas more accurate.
  • At major switch points, I've chosen to stretch some circuits and make them go in a diagonal direction so that lines don't cross each other and to make everything easier to read. That means we're not technically "to-scale" in those areas.
Also, there are a few specific areas where this map is seemingly incorrect at the moment which I am still working to resolve:
  • I'm pretty sure I'm missing two mainline circuits--one circuit on track 1, and another on track 2--somewhere between B05 (Brookland-CUA) and B06 (Fort Totten). If anyone has any insight as to what might be going on here, please let me know as I'm at a loss.
  • The two mainline switch circuits outside E10-2 (Greenbelt, track 2) for the test track are missing. Perhaps the circuit data I obtained is out of date, which is why it doesn't include them? I've stretched the neighboring circuits in the area to fill the gap to maintain scale the best I can.
  • Trains may briefly appear/disappear between A02 (Farragut North) and A03 (Dupont Circle)--on both tracks--due to what appears to be some missing mainline circuits in WMATA's APIs (as opposed to my circuit data set, which has them) between switch pairs to/from the pocket track, i.e. A02-A1-47, A02-A1-51, A02-A2-47, and A02-A2-51. This is my best guess anyway.
###
 #1420651  by MCL1981

Now that's pretty slick! Does, or can, this show non-revenue trains?
 #1420655  by Sand Box John

"MCL1981"
Now that's pretty slick! Does, or can, this show non-revenue trains?

It appears to be showing some. However a few after passing through a few track circuits suddenly appears with a color and a destination.

Noticed one this morning in the tail track east of Largo shown as Red with a Grosvenor destination. Before moving to the Largo platform it changed Silver with a Wiehle – Reston East destination.
 #1420663  by MCL1981

I noticed a few trains with missing destinations too. But I suspect those trains a screwed up destination code, and probably shows something on the signs that makes no sense too. So the information is probably being relayed correctly. It's just correctly relaying incorrectly entered train information.