Railroad Forums 

• WMATA 8000 Series Rail Cars

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1401284  by Chris Brown

farecard wrote:I need WMATA USB ports to recharge my Galaxy Note 7....
I'll add that the newest DC Circulator buses have USB ports. So far they have not been "destroyed" yet.
 #1401486  by Sand Box John

"Chris Brown"
If we stick only to what is necessary Metro rail cars will look like something from the 1920's.

Shackle coated wicker or rattan seats, windows that open, ceiling fans, light bulbs that screw in counter clockwise. That's only the stuff a passenger would see. Tucked under the cars and hidden in the door pockets would be hardware that would be light years more simple and reliable then all the electronics stuffed into the cars being used today.

Personally I don't understand the obsession of having the ability to communicate at any moment on any matter regardless of the importance of said communication.
 #1401501  by Chris Brown

Sand Box John wrote:"Chris Brown"
If we stick only to what is necessary Metro rail cars will look like something from the 1920's.

Tucked under the cars and hidden in the door pockets would be hardware that would be light years more simple and reliable then all the electronics stuffed into the cars being used today.
The reliability argument is a good one. But its the same way a bicycle is more reliable than a car (and a lot cheaper and cleaner too). Still we didn't stop when we invented the bicycle.

I remember people were saying similar things about manual windows in cars being more simple and reliable than power windows. And when power windows were a new thing they were unreliable. But fast-forward and I've now owned three cars with power windows and never hand a single issue with reliability. However, today's power windows would of never become what they are today if people just shrugged when they invented manual windows and said "good enough".

See my point? We should always strive to improve things.
 #1401532  by wrivlin

Let's keep it civil in here. One way or another, USB ports that don't yet (and may never) exist aren't a big deal and certainly aren't something to get heated over. Some people think they're a good idea, some don't. There are certainly other things more worth discussing.
 #1401615  by Sand Box John

"Chris Brown"
The reliability argument is a good one. But its the same way a bicycle is more reliable than a car (and a lot cheaper and cleaner too). Still we didn't stop when we invented the bicycle.

Poor comparison.

<topic drift>
I remember people were saying similar things about manual windows in cars being more simple and reliable than power windows. And when power windows were a new thing they were unreliable. But fast-forward and I've now owned three cars with power windows and never hand a single issue with reliability. However, today's power windows would of never become what they are today if people just shrugged when they invented manual windows and said "good enough".

I despise power windows, none of the reasons you noted is the reason why. When I have needed to purchase a new car, if there was a choice between power windows and crank windows the car equipped crank windows was the vehicle I drove off the lot.
</topic drift>
 #1401631  by Chris Brown

I don't think its a poor comparison at all. My point is new technology is often less reliable at first, but over time it improves. Therefore, we should not always be so quick to dismiss the new in favor of the old.

Regarding the power windows.. you are the only person I've ever heard say that after the 1980's. I don't know anyone today who prefers manual windows in their car. In the end its a matter of opinion though. I myself prefer certain older technologies too. Like cars with manual transmission for instance. I HATE automatic transmission. Stick shift is more fun to drive. I won't say its a "better" technology, I just prefer it. Modern automatic transmissions are much more reliable than early versions too. To my point.
 #1401749  by Sand Box John

"Chris Brown"

<topic drift>
Regarding the power windows.. you are the only person I've ever heard say that after the 1980's. I don't know anyone today who prefers manual windows in their car. In the end its a matter of opinion though. I myself prefer certain older technologies too. Like cars with manual transmission for instance. I HATE automatic transmission. Stick shift is more fun to drive. I won't say its a "better" technology, I just prefer it. Modern automatic transmissions are much more reliable than early versions too. To my point.

I don't like power windows because you can not, on most cars, open or close them without the key turn on. I also don't like having to manipulate the drivers window switch multiple times to open it to where I want it. I only use the one touch all the way down feature once a day, where as I have to manipulate window switch multiple times a day to open it to where I want it as I am in an out of my car multiple times a day.

As to manual transmissions you will get no argument from me on that one. There are a hell of a lot fewer parts in a manual transmission that can break then in an automatic transmission. I have driven more then 3,000,000 miles in vehicles with manual transmissions and have had only one transmission failure and twice needed to replace the clutches. Have driven vehicles with automatic transmission less then 175,000 and have had 2 automatic transmission failures. 3/4 of the time I don't touch the clutch when shifting.

Automatic transmission are for people that don't want to really know how to drive a car to the limit of their own ability and the vehicles ability.
</topic drift>
 #1421365  by YOLO

Interesting wishlist from WMATA:

Articulated railcars in a quad configuration

Heated floors

Passenger WiFi

Will not be compatible with 7000 series or any other series unless it's easy for the vendor to make it so

Make 8000 series compatible with 9000 series, etc. going forward

All Ethernet train network with IPv6 support

https://www.wmata.com/about/business/pr ... on_id=3548" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1421402  by JackRussell

A couple of other interesting things they are contemplating...

Open gangways in married pairs.

Open gangways in married quads.

Wider doors, larger windows.

Passenger operated door-open buttons (to be used when the train is parked at the end of the line for an extended period). Mainly intended to keep the interior temperature more comfortable.

Use 4-wire emergency brake and eliminate brake pipe.
 #1421406  by Sand Box John

"YOLO"
Interesting wishlist from WMATA:

Articulated railcars in a quad configuration

I think you miss read the document, the word articulated appears nowhere in the general design criteria document. Open gangways yes, in either married pairs or in quads made up from two married pairs with an open gangway between the coupled married pairs. A truly articulated configuration would be 2 75' car bodies riding on 3 trucks or 4 75' car bodies riding on 5 trucks. A truly articulated configuration would not be possible as the axle loads would exceed the maximum load specifications of WMATA's elevated infrastructure and WMATA's existing shop lift infrastructure can not accomadate an articulated configuration.

Heated floors

Passenger WiFi

Will not be compatible with 7000 series or any other series unless it's easy for the vendor to make it so

Make 8000 series compatible with 9000 series, etc. going forward

All Ethernet train network with IPv6 support

https://www.wmata.com/about/business/pr ... on_id=3548" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pure speculation from me at this point, 5 and 6k cars to be midlife rehabilitated to be compatible with 8k cars.
 #1421423  by STrRedWolf

Sand Box John wrote: Pure speculation from me at this point, 5 and 6k cars to be midlife rehabilitated to be compatible with 8k cars.
Maybe the 6k's, but not the 5k's. They're scrapping the 5K's (see other thread here).
 #1421436  by JDC

Heated floors seems silly, unless the idea is that it melts snow/ice, which is a safety issue, and it also heats the cars in conjunction with HVAC. Still, seems wholly unnecessary.