Railroad Forums 

• 1970s slides

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1381684  by Sand Box John

A Route Red line tunnel looking north from R Street fan shaft fan platform.

Taking a break after Potomac River tunnel walk at Foggy Bottom.

8 car test train Metro Center Glenmont platform sometime in the spring of 1975.

8 car test train Metro Center Glenmont platform sometime in the spring of 1975.

Me at Rhode Island Avenue Shady Grove Platform sometime before opening day, I still have the hardhat.

Blue Line Interior strip map. There is an error in the strip map.

Blue Line train National Airport sometime in 1977.

Blue Line train National Airport sometime in 1977.

This is one of many reasons why I think WMATA should preserve an 8 car set of 1k cars.
 #1381797  by smallfire85

Thanks for sharing SBJ! It's great to see pictures of Metro in the early years; there aren't many in public circulation. So far, I've only seen pics of trains with "Rhode Island Ave" and "National Airport" destination signs.

I couldn't find the error on the strip map. I guess I need to go back to the basics...
 #1381803  by Sand Box John

"smallfire85"
Thanks for sharing SBJ! It's great to see pictures of Metro in the early years; there aren't many in public circulation. So far, I've only seen pics of trains with "Rhode Island Ave" and "National Airport" destination signs.

You are welcome. WMATA's photo collection has thousands of pictures from those years.

I couldn't find the error on the strip map. I guess I need to go back to the basics...

No orange disk next to Rosslyn to identify it as a transfer station for the west end of the Orange line.
 #1381847  by smallfire85

Sand Box John wrote:"smallfire85"

You are welcome. WMATA's photo collection has thousands of pictures from those years.

No orange disk next to Rosslyn to identify it as a transfer station for the west end of the Orange line.
I had a feeling you were going to mention the photo archives. I've got to get myself down there and do some digging.

About the disk, I think it was only included on the station where the transfer is first available when lines ran together, i.e., the orange disk at Rosslyn if the map was National Airport to Addison Road.
 #1381854  by polybalt

It's hard to believe the 1000's were delivered to Brentwood shops over 40 years ago! I was a young vehicle test engineer at the time working for WMATA's vehicle consultant and managed to get a few slides of the cars at the plant in Winder,GA; in route to Washington; at Brentwood shops prior to revenue service and at the TTC in Pueblo,CO. I posted this link years ago, but thought these shots would be new to some of you. They bring back good memories!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/polybalt/ ... 4439900054" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1381879  by JDC

polybalt wrote:It's hard to believe the 1000's were delivered to Brentwood shops over 40 years ago! I was a young vehicle test engineer at the time working for WMATA's vehicle consultant and managed to get a few slides of the cars at the plant in Winder,GA; in route to Washington; at Brentwood shops prior to revenue service and at the TTC in Pueblo,CO. I posted this link years ago, but thought these shots would be new to some of you. They bring back good memories!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/polybalt/ ... 4439900054" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These are beautiful! I love the shot of the cars being tested in that desert-looking scene. Makes me think that despite the sad ending to all of the cars in a scrap yard, somewhere in transit heaven they are running happily on tracks against such breathtaking backgrounds.
 #1381892  by JackRussell

polybalt wrote:It's hard to believe the 1000's were delivered to Brentwood shops over 40 years ago! I was a young vehicle test engineer at the time working for WMATA's vehicle consultant and managed to get a few slides of the cars at the plant in Winder,GA; in route to Washington; at Brentwood shops prior to revenue service and at the TTC in Pueblo,CO. I posted this link years ago, but thought these shots would be new to some of you. They bring back good memories!
What's the story with that old beat up Mercedes with the Hi-Rail and the modified exhaust system?
 #1381907  by polybalt

JackRussell wrote:
What's the story with that old beat up Mercedes with the Hi-Rail and the modified exhaust system?
It belonged to the small contractor installing the fire line in the tunnel. Gas engines were not allowed in the tunnel and diesels required special mufflers. Every other contractor used a new fancy hi rail truck. This guy found a cheaper way to meet the requirements.
 #1381968  by Sand Box John

"smallfire85"
About the disk, I think it was only included on the station where the transfer is first available when lines ran together, i.e., the orange disk at Rosslyn if the map was National Airport to Addison Road.

Addison Road to National Airport was one of planed short turns back then. The sign would have been used when both ends of both lines were opened to their 101 mile ARS terminals.

"polybalt"
It's hard to believe the 1000's were delivered to Brentwood shops over 40 years ago! I was a young vehicle test engineer at the time working for WMATA's vehicle consultant and managed to get a few slides of the cars at the plant in Winder,GA; in route to Washington; at Brentwood shops prior to revenue service and at the TTC in Pueblo,CO. I posted this link years ago, but thought these shots would be new to some of you. They bring back good memories!

You wouldn't happen to know a fellow named Chuck. He worked for a Rohr subcontractor during ladder period of the excepting testing. He was primarily hired as a HVAC tech but was hired over others because he also had a knowledge of electronics.