Railroad Forums 

• Metro RFP for tunnel light project

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1381021  by JDC

Missed this RFP from back in February - Metro is asking for bids for replacement of tunnel lights. http://www.wmata.com/business/procureme ... on_id=3436. Interestingly, the March 1 update clarifies that LED is not an option because Metro engineers have not yet determined how feasible that is for the system. I'm no expert, but that seems like a relatively simple thing to determine....and should have been in advance of the proposal.
 #1381030  by Sand Box John

"JDC"
Interestingly, the March 1 update clarifies that LED is not an option because Metro engineers have not yet determined how feasible that is for the system. I'm no expert, but that seems like a relatively simple thing to determine....and should have been in advance of the proposal.

LED luminary come in two flavors, those that require a ballast and those that don't. The florescent replacements that I have seen need no ballast.

There also is the issue of the lights being on 24 / 7 / 365. The only LED luminary being used under those conditions that I know of are the ones used in some stations and those fixtures are different then the tunnel florescent fixtures enclosures.
 #1381176  by MCL1981

It's 2016. And WMATA wants to install 16,000 florescent lights in their tunnels. And they claim they want to do this to reduce energy consumption... by using 224,000 watts worth of florescent tubes. LEDs would be more durable, they rarely burn out, and they use less than half the energy. As usual, WMATA is in their own way.

The issue of ballasts or compatibility with existing fixtures is not relevant. They're replacing all the fixtures. They can replace them with whatever they want. It's 120 or 240.
 #1381259  by Sand Box John

"MCL1981"
They're replacing all the fixtures. They can replace them with whatever they want. It's 120 or 240.

The tunnel fixtures are significantly different then the fixtures in the station and the various ancillary spaces. The tunnel lights are in explosion resistant enclosures.
 #1381283  by MCL1981

Sand Box John wrote:"MCL1981"
They're replacing all the fixtures. They can replace them with whatever they want. It's 120 or 240.

The tunnel fixtures are significantly different then the fixtures in the station and the various ancillary spaces. The tunnel lights are in explosion resistant enclosures.
It doesn't matter what they ARE now. They're all being replaced. My point is it doesn't matter if the current lights use ballasts. They can use whatever LED fixture meets the illumination, construction, and durability requirements.
 #1381385  by Sand Box John

"MCL1981"
They can use whatever LED fixture meets the illumination, construction, and durability requirements.

based on what JDC posted above there might not be anything on the market that meets the requirements.
 #1381430  by Chris Brown

Sand Box John wrote:"MCL1981"
They can use whatever LED fixture meets the illumination, construction, and durability requirements.

based on what JDC posted above there might not be anything on the market that meets the requirements.

I'm surprised they can't find an LED manufacturer that can do a custom job just for WMATA. LED is more expensive up front, but the lifespan and energy savings is worth it.