Railroad Forums 

• Incident: pedestrian bridge falls onto Green Line tracks

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1326318  by JDC

According to Metro, via the WP, there is no service between College Park and Greenbelt after a pedestrian bridge fell onto Metro/MARC tracks. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr- ... greenbelt/. I hope it was a part of the bridge, not the entire bridge. That would be rather scary.

Looking on Google Maps, I believe it's the bridge near Berwyn Road.
 #1326324  by JDC

JDC wrote:According to Metro, via the WP, there is no service between College Park and Greenbelt after a pedestrian bridge fell onto Metro/MARC tracks. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr- ... greenbelt/. I hope it was a part of the bridge, not the entire bridge. That would be rather scary.

Looking on Google Maps, I believe it's the bridge near Berwyn Road.
The story has changed since I first posted it. It has been confirmed that a piece of construction equipment hit the bridge, bringing down the middle portion. The WP story now reflects this development, and includes photos.
 #1326332  by JackRussell

JDC wrote:
The story has changed since I first posted it. It has been confirmed that a piece of construction equipment hit the bridge, bringing down the middle portion. The WP story now reflects this development, and includes photos.
The feed from the NBC chopper shows part of the bridge still standing - the part that goes over the CSX freight tracks. In the video I saw, there was a freight train rolling underneath. No doubt they will still want to carefully inspect that part.

The other part of the bridge that crosses the Metro tracks is what fell.
 #1326389  by tommyboy6181

Metro is now reporting that Greenbelt will remain closed through the morning rush hour and possibly into tomorrow afternoon. College Park will remain open. Shuttle buses will be used to connect people between both stations. Metro is recommending that people who normally use Greenbelt either park and ride from College Park or use New Carrollton on the Orange Line for tomorrow's commute.
http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/news/P ... aseID=5912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1326397  by Sand Box John

"Backshophoss"
Gather that the contractor is on the hook to replace that bridge,figure that crane op is toast!

You can pretty much bet on that.

When I heard on the radio that the Berwyn Road pedestrian bridge had "collapses", I knew instantly what happened and who did it.

This is one of the 2 bridges I use to take pictures of the progress on the construction of the test track.

I also have used it in the past to watch the testing of the 5 and 6k cars when WMATA use to use track E1 on weekends to test new rolling stock.
 #1326469  by litz

Yeah, that crew is on the hook, no question ... relevant piece from the NBC story :
A portion of the concrete bridge collapsed onto the tracks shortly before 3 p.m. Wednesday after being struck by the boom of a rail crane operated by a Metro contractor.
The contractor, Skanska, was conducting work to support the construction of a new track.
 #1344790  by smallfire85

Munchabunch wrote:Is the bridge ever going to be repaired and reopened?
There are plans to rebuild it. Last I heard, the debate is whether to rebuild the entire bridge or the portion that was demolished. Also, there might be insurance involvement on the contractor's side, which can complicate things.