Railroad Forums 

• Free rides on segment openings

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1281698  by DiscoveryAnalysis

This is a simple one.... A couple of weeks ago I sent a question to Lynn Bowersox as to why WMATA was not offering the free ride passes at the SV line opening, the response from her was that WMATA has never consistently offered this promo. Well I haven't been to every opening. But below are the ones I do recall getting a coupon.

Sept 1990 Wheaton
May 1991 U St Cardozo
June 1991 Van Dorn St
Dec 1991 Anacostia
Dec 1993 Greenbelt
Jul 1997 Franconia
Jul 1998 Glenmont
Sep 1999 Georgia Ave
Jan 2001 Branch Ave

I wasn't able to attend Largo or NoMa ceremonies in 2004

In retrospect I should kept an extra card from each opening

Can anyone provide info for Vienna and prior openings?

Thanks
 #1281707  by Sand Box John

I have been to all of them, The only segment opening that I know of that did not happened with ceremony and free rides was the opening of the Blue line between National Airport and Stadium - Armory. It opened on Friday 07 01 1977. The stations along the new line through their gates open at the same time as the stations on the Red line between Dupont Circle and Rhode Island Avenue. The New York Avenue infill station was opened with ceremony but as I recall no free rides because it was a new station on an already opened line.