Railroad Forums 

• MARC New Multilevels

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1340010  by MCL1981

For systems like that, based on wheel rotations to determine distance, are there transponders somewhere along the way that to reset and calibrate it? Something must tell it "start counting now".
 #1341703  by Fan Railer

MCL1981 wrote:For systems like that, based on wheel rotations to determine distance, are there transponders somewhere along the way that to reset and calibrate it? Something must tell it "start counting now".
Normally, how it should work is that the program is selected at the terminal. Mileage is calculated from the terminal. If there is wheel-slide from hard braking, you may get wacky announcements, methinks lol.
 #1342500  by MCL1981

Makes sense. I think if there is enough wheel slip to throw it off that much, announcement timing will be the least of the problems....
 #1344846  by realtype

Sent an email through the MTA's website regarding the status of the MARC IV cab cars, here's the response I received:

"In response to your inquiry concerning the new cab cars, we hope to have them in service by the end of September after they’ve had Positive Train Control installed on them."

So, it's PTC (presumably ACSES) equipment installation that had been holding up their introduction. I'm guessing the issue with incompatible braking systems has been resolved.
 #1349779  by BlendedBreak

realtype wrote:Sent an email through the MTA's website regarding the status of the MARC IV cab cars, here's the response I received:

"In response to your inquiry concerning the new cab cars, we hope to have them in service by the end of September after they’ve had Positive Train Control installed on them."

So, it's PTC (presumably ACSES) equipment installation that had been holding up their introduction. I'm guessing the issue with incompatible braking systems has been resolved.
ACSES was/is the braking issue. there was no incompatible brake issue.
 #1357645  by jetfan

I was at the Timonium show a few weeks ago and spoke with someone from Bombardier with regards to the cab cars. Apparently, MARC changed a lot of the inner workings on the cab cars, so much so, that the FRA won't let them run the cars without be re-certified, as though they are completely new cars. This means sending them to Colorado. He also stated that MARC had stepped on the wrong toes at the FRA, making the situation worse. His opinion was that the cars won't run for a very long time, if ever. Please take this with a grain of salt as the person that I spoke with could have been anybody and could have been talking out his rear, just passing along what I heard, and it seems plausible.
 #1357664  by MCL1981

jetfan wrote:I was at the Timonium show a few weeks ago and spoke with someone from Bombardier with regards to the cab cars. Apparently, MARC changed a lot of the inner workings on the cab cars, so much so, that the FRA won't let them run the cars without be re-certified, as though they are completely new cars. This means sending them to Colorado. He also stated that MARC had stepped on the wrong toes at the FRA, making the situation worse. His opinion was that the cars won't run for a very long time, if ever. Please take this with a grain of salt as the person that I spoke with could have been anybody and could have been talking out his rear, just passing along what I heard, and it seems plausible.
Anyone surprised by this? They were supposed to be in service 2 months ago.
 #1357681  by realtype

MCL1981 wrote:
jetfan wrote:I was at the Timonium show a few weeks ago and spoke with someone from Bombardier with regards to the cab cars. Apparently, MARC changed a lot of the inner workings on the cab cars, so much so, that the FRA won't let them run the cars without be re-certified, as though they are completely new cars. This means sending them to Colorado. He also stated that MARC had stepped on the wrong toes at the FRA, making the situation worse. His opinion was that the cars won't run for a very long time, if ever. Please take this with a grain of salt as the person that I spoke with could have been anybody and could have been talking out his rear, just passing along what I heard, and it seems plausible.
Anyone surprised by this? They were supposed to be in service 2 months ago.
Nope. I'm sure this is exactly what's been going on. I don't think MARC has ever accepted new equipment without very lengthy delays and drama (Kawasaki bilevels, Bombardier coaches, VRE Kawasakis, AEM-7 rebuilds, MP36 diesels...). These cars need to enter service eventually.

The state can't afford to keep 15 cab cars that cost $3 million a piece out of service. Plus, the Kawasaki MARC III bilevels are overdue for their mid-life overhaul and they'll need to have these in service if MARC wants to rebuild them more than a few at a time (like they did with the MARC IIB single-levels), especially since all of the MARC IIA's have been retired now.
Last edited by realtype on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1357792  by electricron

jackintosh11 wrote:I know that there are MARC IIs, but were there ever MARC Is?
Yes. They were the rolling stock MARC inherited or leased from Conrail, B&O, or NJT. In other words, MARC didn't necessarily buy them. They were replaced or retired when MARC bought the MARC II coaches.
 #1357818  by realtype

electricron wrote:
jackintosh11 wrote:I know that there are MARC IIs, but were there ever MARC Is?
Yes. They were the rolling stock MARC inherited or leased from Conrail, B&O, or NJT. In other words, MARC didn't necessarily buy them. They were replaced or retired when MARC bought the MARC II coaches.
Yep. I believe quite a few stuck around though until the MARC III (Kawasaki bilevels) purchase.