Railroad Forums 

• Greenbelt test track and tie replacement

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1176177  by motor

Is it true that the tie replacement on the Green Line between Greenbelt and CP is part of construction of a new test track for the 7000s? It's been reported as such on another board site.

motor
 #1176316  by Sand Box John

"motor"

Is it true that the tie replacement on the Green Line between Greenbelt and CP is part of construction of a new test track for the 7000s?

I would think no, unless those that posted road through the area and saw the contractor clearing the brush along the test track right of way.

I been out there twice in the last 3 months, not one stick of brush has been cleared along the right of way. Different story in the yard though, the sites for both the commissioning facility and the parking structure have been cleared.

It's been reported as such on another board site.

Could you provide link to the other board.
 #1176319  by motor

Sand Box John wrote:"motor"

Is it true that the tie replacement on the Green Line between Greenbelt and CP is part of construction of a new test track for the 7000s?

I would think no, unless those that posted road through the area and saw the contractor clearing the brush along the test track right of way.

I been out there twice in the last 3 months, not one stick of brush has been cleared along the right of way. Different story in the yard though, the sites for both the commissioning facility and the parking structure have been cleared.

It's been reported as such on another board site.

Could you provide link to the other board.
You have to register (it's free registration) to see the boards on that site. Go to http://www.the506.com/yabb, then click" here" in the upper left corner, then register. I'm registered on there as ixnay. It's a sports themed site but it has an off-topic board for non-sports subjects.

Or you can click http://www.the506.com/smf/index.php?topic=14411.25 (the Greenbelt sub-topic is about 90% of the way down as I type this on page 2), but again, you'll probably hit a registration wall. The thread is entitled "Going to Baltimore" on the off-topic board (use the drop box if you have to).

motor
 #1263368  by Sand Box John

Test track and Commissioning Facility 04 11 2014

Rail and surface cable chase trays have been delivered to the staging area adjacent to the south kiss and ride short term parking area a the Greenbelt station. The precast deck panels for the parking garage in Greenbelt yard are also being staged there.

Interior work on the Commissioning Facility building continues. The structural work on the parking garage appear to be nearly complete.

Grading is moving alone in preparation for the building the sub grade.

The pictures are at cambronj.blogspot.com Greenbelt Test Track and Commissioning Facility.
 #1382284  by srepetsk

Based on a GGWash comment and this prior weekend's final College Park to Greenbelt rail shutdown for pedestrian bridge replacement, it appears that the Greenbelt Test Track (track E10-3) is finally complete. There is no 7000-series rail car testing single-tracking currently on the WMATA Track Work schedule listing work through June 1st. Here's to testing the appx 600 new 7000-series cars that aren't in service yet, and to the many other cars requiring certification post-repair!
 #1382312  by Sand Box John

"srepetsk"
Based on a GGWash comment and this prior weekend's final College Park to Greenbelt rail shutdown for pedestrian bridge replacement, it appears that the Greenbelt Test Track (track E10-3) is finally complete. There is no 7000-series rail car testing single-tracking currently on the WMATA Track Work schedule listing work through June 1st. Here's to testing the appx 600 new 7000-series cars that aren't in service yet, and to the many other cars requiring certification post-repair!

Besides restoring Berwyn Road pedestrian bridge they must have also addressed the grade profile issues that I noticed back in January that were latter confirmed to be in need of correction. The simulated station under Greenbelt Road had a vertical curve in it. The specification is level or not more then a 0.35% grade.
Last edited by Sand Box John on Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1382337  by Sand Box John

"MCL1981"
Why is the test track only now being completed?

Me thinks the contractor had site access issues with WMATA that limited window of time that they could get in there and do the work.

Isn't this something that should have been done a year or two ago?

Yes.
 #1385220  by srepetsk

So the test track is complete, and 7K trains have been using it. However, why are they still needing to do mid-day single-tracking for testing between Greenbelt and College Park? What tests are they not able to do on the test track that they need mainline for? From my reading (a while back, granted) of the RFP, the track should've been able to do full testing of any 4-car train.
 #1385328  by Sand Box John

"srepetsk"
So the test track is complete, and 7K trains have been using it. However, why are they still needing to do mid-day single-tracking for testing between Greenbelt and College Park? What tests are they not able to do on the test track that they need mainline for? From my reading (a while back, granted) of the RFP, the track should've been able to do full testing of any 4-car train.

Maybe they are trying to make up lost time. Using one of the main line track while at the same time using the test track allow them to test two 4 car sets at the same time.

I think I mentioned this before the test track has all the necessary wayside hardware under the Greenbelt Road overpass to test automatic station stops.