Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1067230  by Amtrak7

lirr42 wrote:Beginning this Sunday (7/29) a new Sunday-only train will depart from Amagansett at 2:55pm, making local stops through Speonk, then non-stop to Jamiaca, terminating there.
Is this a weekly extra or a one time thing?

Some OTP stats, for May 25 - July 20:

-The Cannonball has been on time only once. (June 1)
-Friday 2716 has been on time only twice (June 8, July 3)
-Sunday 8710 has been on time only twice (May 27, July 1). Except for one day when it was late it was late by > 15min.
 #1067244  by lirr42

Amtrak7 wrote:Is this a weekly extra or a one time thing?
The e-mail made it sound like it was a weekly thing, running Sundays only in the summer.
 #1067294  by JKTRR

Meets: The Sunday meet (Southampton) typically occurs a bit differently (and based on timekeeping); witnessed the following more than once, so I believe it to be the standard: Westbound has arrived on siding; eastbound into the station. Eastbound departs and westbound re-enters main and proceeds into station. Switch work is kept to a minimum (westbound handling all of it - rear brake closes up while station work being done) and no reverse moves. I suspect the timetable is created allowing for extra time for the westbound to do this work and still depart Southampton on time. (During one observance, the moves were being "supervised" by future prez. Dermody; I late sent him a set of the photos I shot while (we) watched the ballet........ The ETT has the meets shown, including superior train(s), by timetable authority, which is all well and good as long as timekeeping is intact; late-running ones might prompt the dispatcher to change the meet point, which would require paperwork! A side of the LIRR not normally known/watched!!!!