Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1031346  by R36 #9346

Circus train now STOPPED at Bellerose. It's likely waiting for the 13:10 Hempstead eastbound to pass.
 #1031369  by R36 #9346

Train now stopped at Woodside. Probably waiting for the handoff to Amtrak now.
 #1031395  by peanut1

R36 #9346 wrote:Train now stopped at Woodside. Probably waiting for the handoff to Amtrak now.
Are the diesels from amtrak coming into woodside to pick this train up? I know if their HHP's they wouldn't be able to but if they are diesels with third rail capabilities then it would be possible.
 #1031410  by R36 #9346

It was the back of the train (i.e. The flat cars) occupying the station when I left. The front of the train was presumably under the wire.
 #1031426  by SlackControl

Here are two silver flat cars with bright silver containers in them (on the east bound Monday, they were at the rear of the train). Any idea what those are used for?
 #1031436  by R36 #9346

If anyone is wondering about the train's current location, it's at Hunterspoint Avenue, waiting out the PM rush. The rear of the train is just east of Queens Blvd. All that time waiting for it at Newark Penn was for naught!
 #1031569  by workextra

I know this is a long train, and the longer the train the longer it takes to charge up. With that being said. How long does it take Amtrak to make the hitch, test the air and go that they had to wait until after rush hour? Was the train also delayed leaving Garden City?
 #1031626  by vingong

Saw it at HP last night.
 #1032115  by LINYARailfan

workextra wrote:I know this is a long train, and the longer the train the longer it takes to charge up. With that being said. How long does it take Amtrak to make the hitch, test the air and go that they had to wait until after rush hour? Was the train also delayed leaving Garden City?
The Circus train left the Garden Mitchell around 12:30. Here is a video of them running as all in one consist through Garden City.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BuMqtznX8s

Here is the Chaser Engine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4ieoanFE9M
 #1032201  by ThirdRail7

workextra wrote:I know this is a long train, and the longer the train the longer it takes to charge up. With that being said. How long does it take Amtrak to make the hitch, test the air and go that they had to wait until after rush hour? Was the train also delayed leaving Garden City?
If the delivering crew doesn't hold the air, it could take the HHP-8s from 25-30 minutes to fully charge the circus train. By the time it got to Harold It was getting too close to rush hour to attempt a run.

Remember, there are only two tracks on the other side. If anything went wrong.............
 #1032571  by railmason357

A lot of "what ifs" there third rail. A lot of calculated risks in moving extras. Always plan for a good move, but think through if it doesn't go well.
 #1032619  by amtrakhogger

The circus train finally got on the move that night around 945p en route to Lane.