Railroad Forums 

• Smart Technology to Collect Fares

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#923254  by truck6018

On Memorial Day, another conductor reported missing about 200 fares on a train from the Hamptons, writing that the "... train became completely packed. When doors opened people almost fell out."
How is this going to be prevented with the train crews having credit card readers? If the train is too full to collect tickets, having readers won't help either.

Head-end View wrote:Let me get this straight...............LIRR is about to start testing similar hand-held devices to what is already in use by conductors on Metro-North? A conductor friend of mine was using that last summer and told me it has to be charged every day, using a charger in the crew room at Grand Central.
Do you mean the handheld TIM's (ticket issue machines)or TIM's with credit card readers? While MNR has used the TIM's for quite a number of years, MNR is not using the credit card readers in the TIM's unless there is some pilot program in place with a handful of conductors. Even though the TIM's are regular procedure, there have been times that the conductors have had to use the duplex tickets.
 #923367  by Amtrak7

For Mineola and other stations where the platform is used as a pedestrian bridge access path, using a pathway with turnstiles/fencing on either side would probably be the best way.

I hope they're smart enough not to gate in stations east of Zone 10, as the travel times between stops are long enough to collect cards/process credit card tickets.

But since LIRR has TVM's at all stations, it's a lot easier than SEPTA's one way fare proposal.
 #923677  by CTG

I can't see a platform gating approach working on the LIRR. POP seems far more likely -- but then again, the LIRR / MTA have a long history of doing things their own way when there is an "off the shelf" solution available.

How long would it take to unload a train at a station like Oceanside during the rush hour (especially when there are 2 or 4 cars hanging off the rear) if the passengers can't easily exit the platform and instead have to go through a gate one-by-one.
 #923753  by Amtrak7

CTG wrote:I can't see a platform gating approach working on the LIRR. POP seems far more likely -- but then again, the LIRR / MTA have a long history of doing things their own way when there is an "off the shelf" solution available.

How long would it take to unload a train at a station like Oceanside during the rush hour (especially when there are 2 or 4 cars hanging off the rear) if the passengers can't easily exit the platform and instead have to go through a gate one-by-one.
More gates, or use higher-tech gates like PATCO which deter turnstile jumping without the slow throughput of HEET's.
 #923791  by num1hendrickfan

Amtrak7 wrote:For Mineola and other stations where the platform is used as a pedestrian bridge access path, using a pathway with turnstiles/fencing on either side would probably be the best way.
I would assume as much. The question I have, is how to avoid a setup that prevents pedestrians ( not riding the train ) from utilizing the bridge and platform crossing ( especially without being charged train fare ). We who work or reside in Mineola have every right to utilize that bridge, free of charge ( given it's the only safe ADA compliant crossing over the tracks ).

All I want is assurance that this particular crossing not be blocked to non-commuters.
 #923816  by keithsy

ICG used turnstiles when I was in grammar school. This hand method of fare collection is archaic. Many trainmen are proficient at it. I admired them. Let's face it: manual collection of money is archaic and dangerous.
 #923834  by srock68

eon,

Wouldn't there be less of a need for Conductors/Collectors? Don't get me wrong, I hope it never happens being that I would be one of the Conductors laid off, it just seems the Company wouldn't need as many of us.
 #923879  by LongIslandTool

They would need about 430 trainmen, none qualified.

This, of course would depend on a whole lot of things happening.
 #923889  by srock68

Tool,

430 unqualified trainmen in addition to over 1000 qualified conductors?
So, the RR would have to hire more trainmen. I thought we were in danger of losing trainmen since the SMART card would do the collecting for us.