Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#875956  by bigsteelrail

Greetings all. New resident of Riverhead (Brooklyn too) here wondering what is the history of the 2 cabooses and 1 boxcar parked and forgotten about by the L.I.R.R. on the Kroemer Avenue spur? Took some photos yesterday showing a tree growing up and through the holes in the caboose stairs!! Also, the logo isn't the L.I.R.R. logo, a "C" with an "L" through it. Also, the spur is disconnected from the main line. Any info appreciated!
 #875992  by workextra

If your asking about the 3 cars on the disconnected siding by Paraco I believe this has been discussed before.
the hacks are of Mo-Pac heritage(?) and the box probably NYC/PC. Someone here knows more then I do.
 #876045  by tahawus84

I think the logo on them is for the company whose property they are on . fredrick cohan or something
 #876186  by n2qhvRMLI

bigsteelrail

Welcome to Riverhead!

All three cars are owned by the Cowan family. The boxcar is currently used for storage. The two MoPac Cabeese were originally purchased and moved to Riverhead as office space for Mr. Cowan's company.

Once they found out how hard it was to cut out the interior bulkheads and recondition the cars into usable space, the plan was shelved. There they sit, landlocked, as the LIRR removed the switch to the little used private siding.

There has been talk over the years of the Twin Forks Chapter - NRHS moving one of the cars to join their collection. That has not happened yet.

http://www.dbry.rrarchives.com/cabsaved ... 13456.html

de Don n2qhvRMLI
 #1523679  by Twin Forks NRHS

Hello Everyone,
The Twin Forks Chapter of the NRHS has acquired these cabooses. We need to move them in the coming months. We are looking to raise $5000 for the movement. here is a link to our gofundme. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
gf.me/u/wahuyd
 #1590744  by bigsteelrail

Hello All! Can't believe I posted this 11 years ago! Well, I thought I'd share a photo from this morning at Riverhead Station, showing the 2 cabooses (who said "cabeese"?) and 1 boxcar. Snow and trains make a perfect match! Thanks/JHImage
 #1590746  by Twin Forks NRHS

Hey Bigsteelrail,

Thanks for sharing the photo! The Twin Forks Chapter NRHS has recently moved these three cars from the siding at Kromer Ave to the yard. More information and footage is available here: https://www.twinforksnrhs.org/mp-caboose-move

Let us know if you have any questions about it - it was a big project that took a lot of teamwork.