Railroad Forums 

• Woodhaven Station - Abandoned

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1455285  by jayrmli

Bad Luck Wrote: The parlor on that trip was the 2000, the Morris Park.

Thank you, what ever became of that car ?
Sadly, that car was subsequently used as a tunnel clearance car for the future bilevels, and had spikes attached to the roof as feelers to see if it would clear the tubes. The car sat derelict in the boneyard for a few years and was vandalized.

It was traded to a group in I believe West Virginia called Blue Ridge Rail Restoration in exchange for work they did on a LIRR caboose, and today it still exists, with no additional restoration work performed and even more vandalization to the car.
 #1455411  by DogBert

newkirk wrote:
Teutobergerwald wrote: What was the other power on that trip ??
MP-15 #150 - Is this in LIC Yard A ?

That's actually the east end of yard a, facing west. The MP is on the small hump that was located here (directly across from the amtrak locomotive servicing area out of view to the left). They used to hump freight cars here until sometime in the mid to late 80s.
 #1455423  by The EGE

Newkirk, thanks for that East NY picture! I was just there yesterday, and I was having a hard time trying to read the lettering.
 #1455443  by newkirk

The EGE wrote: Newkirk, thanks for that East NY picture! I was just there yesterday, and I was having a hard time trying to read the lettering.
Thanks and Happy New year to you.

Was the lettering covered with diesel soot or graffiti ?
 #1455730  by Bad Luck

Teutobergerwald wrote:Why weren't any of the eight Alco L-2s, #s 222-229, used for that excursion or the November '86 excursion that went to LIC, West Hempstead and Montauk? I was on the November trip with my father. It was a big disappointment to see two MP-15ac's pulling the train into Jamaica. Parlor car 2014 was nice, though. 619 was the power pack for that trip.
I recall there being a last minute problem with the power set aside for that trip and that no other L-2s were available.
 #1455801  by Crabman1130

Bad Luck wrote:
Teutobergerwald wrote:Why weren't any of the eight Alco L-2s, #s 222-229, used for that excursion or the November '86 excursion that went to LIC, West Hempstead and Montauk? I was on the November trip with my father. It was a big disappointment to see two MP-15ac's pulling the train into Jamaica. Parlor car 2014 was nice, though. 619 was the power pack for that trip.
I recall there being a last minute problem with the power set aside for that trip and that no other L-2s were available.
I was on a fan trip with an l-2 for power that fizzled out near Montauk. Had to wait for a GP38-2 to come rescue us.