Railroad Forums 

• Atlantic Avenue Brooklyn Terminal

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#141103  by BMT

The big news in Kings County of late is how the planned NY Nets stadium and complex will now require a re-configuration of the LIRR Atlantic Yard trackage. Turns out that there is more than just 'air rights' involved in the construction process. Supposedly, the entire yard will have to be relocated at least a block eastward (between Vanderbuilt and Carlton Avenue).

#141114  by Clemuel

Yes it will. And it will be configured so that the lead joins the main for a westward move.

Clem

#141159  by Guest

well I hope trains will be stored there more & also I hope they will be smart enough to have a yard spur coming towards Queens, not Flatbush

#141207  by BMT

Bob, thanks for that MTA website link. I'll have to read it on my lunch hour... :wink:

#141395  by badneighbor

while they are digging... do the tunnel to downtown... oops was I making sense again?

#141400  by badneighbor

ok... you sell the rights to build a structure above the yard, in exchange for rebuilding the yard at the developers' expense. Sounds like a win-win situation. RR ends up with a sheltered, newly refurbished yard, and the $$$ for selling 22'+ real estate. Too bad it isnt that simple...
 #373803  by rail10

Which part of the atlantic avenue brooklyn terminal is the Lirr section located and how to get there from the 2,d and n subway lines?

#373822  by LIengineerBob

The LIRR has it's own dedicated six track terminal in FLatbush. It's located directly next to the uptown (Manhattan bound) IRT 2 line on the other side of the turnstyle. It's nothing fancy at all, and looks just like any other underground New York City railroad/subway terminal.
To get there on the 2, get off at Atlantic Avenue. From the D, get off at Atlantic Avenue and from the N, get off at Pacific Street, and follow the signs to the LIRR.
You'll definatly be underwhelmed by what you see at the LIRR portion of the Atlantic complex.

#373990  by M1 9147

D, M, N, and R stop at Pacific St. on the 4th. Ave. Side, B and Q stop at Atlantic on the Brighton Line Side and the 2, 3, 4 and 5 on the IRT. 2 and 3 Manhattan Bound Track is right at the station.

#374369  by Fla East Coast Chris

Hey Neil!!!
Remeber when the 2 went to New Lots Ave back in the early 80's. It was dubbed the Beast from The East!!! remeber the July 4th accident in which Jesse Cole Motorman was killed when he rear ended another IRT 2 train on that day.

#374449  by M1 9147

I do remember that Chris!!!!

#374486  by RetiredLIRRConductor

FBA Brooklyn

#374494  by pennsy

Hi All,

Really nice photo. Seems to me that what you are now calling the # 2 line is what I knew as the Lexington Ave. Express. The New Lots line would then be on the local tracks, and IIRC the northbound local track had a connection to the LIRR tracks, from one of the tracks at the LIRR terminal. I never saw that connection used, but I have been told that it was used for a privately owned car that was attached to an LIRR train, and this fellow used the connection to get to his office building on the west side of Manhattan. That is where, on a siding of the Broadway/ 7th ave express, the privately owned car was stored.

#374522  by robertwa

The #2 (and 3) are 7th Ave. expresses, not Lexington Ave. They run on the Local tracks in Brooklyn The 4 and 5 are Lexington Ave. expresses and run on the center express tracks in Brooklyn.