Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#989  by SeldenJrFireman

Where is the horn located on the C-3 Cab Cars, If any? I caught a train heading West at MM56 and noticed that there was no visible horn, a from what i can see.

#999  by Head-end View

I'll take a guess that they're under the car, directly under the engineer's cab. I think someone said a while back that's where they are on the MU cars. I never understood why they aren't on the roof or front of the car. Anyone know if there is a functional reason why they put them under the cabs?

#1092  by M1 9147

Yep, that's exactly where they are. Underneath the engineers compartment which uses a Leslie S2 horn.

#1133  by rrbuff03

In bad weather as in this past winter it is easier to melt the ice out of a horn at ground level

#1555  by Nasadowsk

Undercar mounting on the MUs? My guess is Budd wanted them there for a 'clean' look to the M-1. It may also get the noise more at the automobile/platform level, as opposed to blasting it all over the place, though I tend to think styling was the #1 reason for it.

Oh yes, the piping's a touch shorter :)

Melting out snow? I though there was snow cones or a sock over the horns, and anyway, a small heater could always be mounted on the thing...

#1682  by Head-end View

Phil, I don't know if LIRR uses snow-cones on those. They did have freeze-ups this past winter. I heard crews telling dispatchers that they were using fusees to thaw out some horns that weren't working.
Last edited by Head-end View on Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#1699  by N340SG

At best, you'll see some cars with a linen "baggie" over the horn.
These usually get ripped and hang uselessly from the horn body.
Without a doubt, something better, yet inexpensive can be done.
You guys have some good ideas. Unless it's mandated, though,......

Tom
 #1735  by DutchRailnut

those bags are of to fine a mesh and when they get wet actualy freeze themself, usualy onto the metal snow cone on the horn.
the frozen bag does no longer let air trough and horn does then no longer work.
crews usualy just stop the train and poke a hole in the bag.