Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1535766  by Pensyfan19

edflyerssn007 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:59 am According to my source 518 does in fact have some Seimens charger parts as a bit of an under the radar test.
That's what it said in the description of the video which I posted under the LIRR 511 thread. :P Probably Siemens getting first dibs for replacement locomotives for the DM30AC.
 #1535780  by Backshophoss

The R&D process is still on going,the Dual mode chargers have a weight issue with the energy storage module needed to jump the 3rd rail gaps.
 #1536029  by grobtech

With the DM fleet, Amtrak dictates that there must be a DM unit on each end of the consist to prevent gapping. *If* the award for the next dual mode fleet goes to Siemens will the on board energy storage mean that the LIRR will be able go to a push pull service for dual modes into New York?
 #1536209  by WhartonAndNorthern

grobtech wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:40 pm With the DM fleet, Amtrak dictates that there must be a DM unit on each end of the consist to prevent gapping. *If* the award for the next dual mode fleet goes to Siemens will the on board energy storage mean that the LIRR will be able go to a push pull service for dual modes into New York?
That's the idea. It's also the hardest part to implement (space-claim, required weight) and could affect the entire order when only 1 of the 3 customers require the feature.
 #1536222  by DutchRailnut

there will be only 3 customers for dual mode(LIRR-MN -Amtrak) and as per PRII they all will get same engine with same functions .
 #1536837  by edflyerssn007

Backshophoss wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:10 pm The R&D process is still on going,the Dual mode chargers have a weight issue with the energy storage module needed to jump the 3rd rail gaps.
I wonder if some Tesla power packs could help with that weight issue. I don't know what the weight goals are, but supposedly the tesla power backs have some of the densest storage capacity out there.
 #1545554  by Pensyfan19

Yesterday I caught 518 with its new Siemens equipment and bell arriving with an eastbound at Southampton. Here is the video for how the engine sounds in comparison to engine 510 (the engine which later passed by 518), specifically starting at 3:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-njdK52kcY