Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1526471  by MattAmity90

I was watching a YouTube video the other day with the cameraman riding aboard the new M9 on an Eastbound revenue run to Babylon. The train was 10 cars (which is the length of the station) long, but the conductor on the intercom stated, "The two rear cars will not platform." Usually at Amityville if you are on a 12-car train the conductor will note on the intercom will say, "Front two cars will not platform." When the train pulled into the station the Westernmost staircase was closed off, scaffolding was erected where the signal hut and canopy support are located, and fencing with sand-filled jersey barriers were placed near the stair/escalator combination. Anyone know of what they are doing?
 #1526709  by MattAmity90

It turns out that what I was stating was rehabilitation work that started in August and was completed in September. The Western half of the station was closed temporarily to repair and rehabilitate the platform canopy. I'm not sure what necessitated the repairs, but then again the platform, the canopy, and the three mushroom lights on the East end are all original. All of those have been there from the very beginning of elevated service in 1973. Still no word on whether the station or the other three on the Babylon Branch will have elevators installed.