Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1503793  by BuddR32

Its just not financially or operationally feasible to scrap fully functioning cars because of their involvement in tragedies. We'd have no cars left it we removed it from service for every fatality. I believe the decisions made to retain the cars were most prudent.

As for this Westbury incident, as much a fan of the M3s I am, I am happy that this involved M7 equipment, for the safety of the Engineer and passenger in the lead car. The M3s do not have the collision posts and crash-worthiness that the M7 does. Bizarrely, the platform cement penetrated the car between the two cab-side collision posts. Had it been an M3, the whole carbody would have been cut open like a soup can with a can opener. In my opinion, larger amounts of concrete would have entered the car, with greater ease.
 #1503841  by MattAmity90

BuddR32 wrote:Its just not financially or operationally feasible to scrap fully functioning cars because of their involvement in tragedies. We'd have no cars left it we removed it from service for every fatality. I believe the decisions made to retain the cars were most prudent.

As for this Westbury incident, as much a fan of the M3s I am, I am happy that this involved M7 equipment, for the safety of the Engineer and passenger in the lead car. The M3s do not have the collision posts and crash-worthiness that the M7 does. Bizarrely, the platform cement penetrated the car between the two cab-side collision posts. Had it been an M3, the whole carbody would have been cut open like a soup can with a can opener. In my opinion, larger amounts of concrete would have entered the car, with greater ease.
The reason I mentioned 9891-9892 not being scrapped was because unlike tragedies, six people were murdered in those cars. That's the reason why I brought that up, and why they shouldn't have been put them back in service as 9945-9946. As for what you said about the fact a M7 was the type of train that was penetrated by the concrete, it shows how far we've come in train safety and integrity, not to mention how much it says for these cars and safety parameters that went into it for research.
 #1503842  by DutchRailnut

ok lets get in line we can't scrap 3 million $$$ cars just because someone thinks they got emotionally hurt ?? if you think it is not your car, pickup your ass and go to another one ..
how hard is this .........
 #1503863  by nyandw

DutchRailnut wrote:ok lets get in line we can't scrap 3 million $$$ cars just because someone thinks they got emotionally hurt ?? if you think it is not your car, pickup your ass and go to another one ..
how hard is this .........
Concur... More lack of courage on the part of Pols and the Media to please the minority "snowflakes". Walk... it's So green for the environment... Sad :-(