Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1500328  by Kelly&Kelly

Anyone with a hard hat in the photo is an M of E employee. Transportation was exempted from wearing them.
 #1500350  by Dump The Air

MACTRAXX wrote: The 1993 Queens Interlocking wreck with the ore cars was a bad one - not only due to the location
it was the significant damage to track and infrastructure that was done. Was this the beginning of
the end of the use of the ore cars - which I remember hauled soil or other waste from Queens out
to the Holtsville area for disposal? LIST-NRHS wrote again about this accident in the "Semaphore"...
unless it's a classic case of railfan false memory, i seem to remember them making trips out to bridgehampton under the early-early days of NYA. I was barely 10 years old at the time so take that for what you will.
 #1500352  by nyandw

Dump The Air wrote:unless it's a classic case of railfan false memory, i seem to remember them making trips out to bridgehampton under the early-early days of NYA. I was barely 10 years old at the time so take that for what you will.
Your memory is spot on! Ore car material: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/mow/or ... recars.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I can't state if NYA made the deliveries to Bridehampton. Anyone?

The entire fleet was transferred to the New York & Atlantic Railway in 1997 and at the time were being used for the GROW tunneling project in Maspeth. The rock that was removed to build the tunnel was transported to Prima Asphalt in Holtsville, NY. For most of the first few years of the NYA, this was a unit train that ran weeknights (and sometimes on weekends).

One small item though. The tunneling operation was year round. We did not stop during the winter for maintenance. The trains did slow down but did not stop. The Contractor was always upset when the railroad would run slowly, as we would get "muck bound" very quickly and he would be screaming to get switched or for more empty cars. Info: John McCluskey

Before the freight transfer, LIRR also used the cars to service Hampton Materials in Bridgehampton and for a sand project just east of Speonk. Research: Jay Eichler

The fleet went to the Lake Superior & Ishpeming Railroad and are back in Ore service. (LS&I RR) Research: John McCluskey and Paul Strubeck
 #1500353  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote:CR and Everyone: "...The 1993 Queens... I remember hauled soil or other waste from Queens out
to the Holtsville area for disposal? LIST-NRHS wrote again about this accident in the "Semaphore"..." MACTRAXX
Any idea which Semaphore as perhaps I can find it in the pile I have?
Last edited by nyandw on Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1500364  by freightguy

I think after the Bellrose wreck those ore Jenny cars were limited to 30 mph maximum authorized speed and 20 mph around curves. They were dangerous cars to work with, the slack on them and going in between to make the hoses. I guess like previously mentioned they were altered to make them carry more material. From the LIRR and early NYA days it was impressive with two MP15’s to get that material out to Holtsville for Prima Asphalt. I thought that project started in 1995 in the waning days of LIRR freight, but I guess it was earlier.

This was a great thread with post by I’m assuming former employees with information about the wrecks. Although kudos to the original poster for putting up those 4 wrecks. I never saw the FL9 or Speonk wreck before.
 #1500419  by cr9617

I had a few minutes tonight so I pulled a few more pics out. Eventually I'd like to scan, organize and upload them all to flickr or imgur. There are a lot more from both Huntington and Queens but it's a bit tedious 3 at a time. I tried to grab the ones I thought were the best of Queens for now.
SCAN0150.JPG
SCAN0149.JPG
SCAN0148.JPG
 #1500420  by cr9617

I'm not really sure why the thumbs are upside down...
 #1500426  by cr9617

Here is an interesting set. A Conrail B23-7, derailed covered hopper and a LIRR vac truck. Am I correct in assuming this is Fresh Pond? Not much to go off of.
 #1500429  by Bad Luck

These are fantastic, thanks so much for taking the time to upload. Looking forward to seeing a batch on Flickr.