Railroad Forums 

• Change from PRR position light signals in Babylon, when?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1490586  by nyandw

A nice photo posted by the LIRR-MTA.As the PRR position lights are still in place, we have an indication of when the photo was taken. Patchogue had them replaced in 2006, for example.Signals S357-358 are in the far distant center of the photo. (Info: Emery map MP35+36 7/1958) When were the PRR signals replaced? I've asked about the photo date so we shall see. Thank you.
 #1490704  by MattAmity90

fender52 wrote:I think the position lights west of the station are still there. They haven't been replaced yet.
None of the signals (including the pedestals) or signal gantries have been touched, and I have photos from 2007 and 2008. When I go out to the Island, Babylon is a place I frequent although I didn't go to Babylon last month. The only changes I've seen there are the seasonal pruning and trimming of the foliage adjacent to the tracks, cutting the trees off the wires, cleanup, and they replaced the bottom four wire insulators (which has been done on almost every pole along the Babylon Branch) on most of the poles.
 #1490777  by Sigz

The “sunset photo” is Babylon Interlocking, 3 bridge. In the photo your looking at the back of 22 and 24 signal. The photo also shows the 21 switch crossover in the background; in the foreground you can see the switch points of 23 switch. The signal in the foreground is most likely 30 signal.

Additionally, the photo fender52 took is of the same bridge. Just from the other side.

A signal name like S357 and S358 would suggest them being automatic signals, which typically, you wouldn’t find in an interlocking.
 #1490950  by Backshophoss

If and when the 3rd rail is done on the Central Branch,Babylon will most likely wind up as Color light signals.
LIRR is replacing all the remaining P/L's with Color lights as needed and $$$ allows,along with removal of any remaining wayside Automatic signals.
Like MN it's cab sgnal/ASC/ACSES between interlockings. :(
 #1493067  by Meal Period

I have heard that you will see position Light Signals from Bayshore to Y for several years to come. Along with double track 251, or whatever it is now. The money was diverted to the Grand Central Project. So get out there and get pictures of what will probably be the last Pennsy type signals on the RR when all is said and done.
 #1493223  by nyandw

Meal Period wrote:I have heard that you will see position Light Signals from Bayshore to Y for several years to come. . So get out there and get pictures of what will probably be the last Pennsy type signals on the RR when all is said and done.
Good advice, that folks have ignored for generations: Baldwins, FM's, RS units, wooden hacks, freight sidings, industries, freight car photos, etc. all gone... RIP