Railroad Forums 

• [PHOTO] RDC Fan Trip Location & Date Needed

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1488015  by newkirk

Can anyone identify the location and date of the Fan trip ?
 #1488065  by freightguy

Newkirk,

Arrts Archives site has the exact photo 1956” Evergreen Branch looking west from Covert Street.” Someone I worked with on the railroad worked for Conrail said they had a few customers down there still during the Conrail era serviced by a local out of Oak Point. He remembers a beer guy and a lumber consignee. I think even during early NYAR a building still stood that was once a tower for the junction of the Bayridge Branch and Evergreen. The northern(western) end of the branched sliced across the Bushwick where the waste management transfer station is now just west of Varick Ave. Those tracks are probably still there in the concrete.
 #1488243  by Dump The Air

freightguy wrote:Newkirk,

Arrts Archives site has the exact photo 1956” Evergreen Branch looking west from Covert Street.” Someone I worked with on the railroad worked for Conrail said they had a few customers down there still during the Conrail era serviced by a local out of Oak Point. He remembers a beer guy and a lumber consignee. I think even during early NYAR a building still stood that was once a tower for the junction of the Bayridge Branch and Evergreen. The northern(western) end of the branched sliced across the Bushwick where the waste management transfer station is now just west of Varick Ave. Those tracks are probably still there in the concrete.
you see photos of Conrail and earlier PC U-boats leading a consist down the bay ridge with a SW1500 in tow, that switcher was for drilling the evergreen.

there has been a show/art space at 538 Johnson ave for years, the remains of the evergreen run behind the building and definitely serviced it at one point.
 #1488324  by newkirk

Since we're talking about the short lived LIRR RDC's, here's a pic I found on the "net."

I was told the RDC struck a gravel truck, killing the engineer. Is this where the accident occurred ?

I see gravel on the track to the right. Anyone know the date of this tragic accident ?
 #1488349  by MACTRAXX

BM: That was the collision with a truck at a grade crossing on the Main Line in I believe Holtsville in which Engineer Patsy Molese was killed...
I believe the year was 1966 - and as a result this RDC car ended up being retired and the other RDC sold off...
I have not seen this picture previously...Thanks for posting this...MACTRAXX
 #1488361  by RGlueck

It hit an asphalt truck. The rest of the story is correct. This was taken either just before or just after the engineer's body was removed. He was crushed in the cab. When the unit returned to Morris Park, there was a lot of steel cut away. Patsy Molese reportedly hated the Budd Cars, and swore they be the death of him.

At one time, there was a plan to cut away the damaged end cab and take the observation end of the old "Jamaica" parlor car, and bring them together as an ultra-comfortable inspection car. The "Jamaica" is now a display item by a retired station, and the Budd went to scrap. The other Budd, an RDC2, went to the B&O, and was eventually cut up as well, after being pressed into service.

I'm a bit fuzzy on the Budd cars. They were really cool, and looked great. Assigned to the Patchogue "Scoot" I believe, they were not well liked by crews as I recall. With the exception of Canada's fleet, I think most Budd Cars went the way of the steam locos in the mid 70's. LIRR fancied buying more from the B&M fleet as it was cut back, but those were beaten to heck before they went anywhere.
 #1488363  by newkirk

MACTRAXX wrote: BM: That was the collision with a truck at a grade crossing on the Main Line in I believe Holtsville in which Engineer Patsy Molese was killed...
I believe the year was 1966 - and as a result this RDC car ended up being retired and the other RDC sold off...
I have not seen this picture previously...Thanks for posting this...MACTRAXX
You're welcome MACTRAXX.

Just two questions:

1) Any idea where the posted photo was taken ? I guess on a siding out east.
2) The RDC's were numbered 3101 & 3121. I find that odd.
Why not assign numbers like 3101 & 3102 ?
 #1488377  by nyandw

October 18, 1967

Photo: LIRR RDC #3101 Wrecked 1967, sold in 12/71 to Sarnelli Brothers and scrapped at the LIRR’s Corona Yard.
Info: Dave Keller 06/2004
Engineer “Patsy” Molese and the Budd Car by Dave Keller: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirrphotos/ ... gnette.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here’s a view of wrecked RDC1 #3101, taken on October 18, 1970 while it was stored out back of the Morris Park Shops in Queens . The front of the car shows how the cab was cut away to extract the remains of Patrick Molese. The unit was sold in December, 1971 to Sarnelli Bros. and scrapped at Corona Yard. (Photo by, and courtesy of, Richard Glueck)
 #1488464  by ExCon90

newkirk wrote:
The RDC's were numbered 3101 & 3121. I find that odd.
Why not assign numbers like 3101 & 3102 ?
Since the other unit was an RDC2, they might have left 3102-3119 (or -20) open in case they bought any more RDC1's.
 #1488478  by newkirk

To nyandw:

Thanks for the link to the RDC and Patsy Molese story.

I see the crews hated the RDC's, but were there concern for the C-3 cab cars if a similar accident would happen ?
 #1488487  by nyandw

newkirk wrote:To nyandw: Thanks for the link to the RDC and Patsy Molese story. I see the crews hated the RDC's, but were there concern for the C-3 cab cars if a similar accident would happen ?
Your welcome. I can't speak to the C-3 cab issue, but others with experience could address it?