Railroad Forums 

• R-AGE" after the number & sticker "Home shop for repair, do

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1483142  by cr9617

Don't know what the "R-AGE" means but the reason they were in PA and tagged for home shop was that the LIRR just purchased them from Ringling Bros. They were in transit from Palmetto FL to Fresh Pond. They attempted to acquire them when the circus train was in town to avoid the shipping costs but couldn't finalize the details in time.
 #1483154  by nyandw

Ðauntless wrote:I would bet they have age restrictions on them.
Sent to me:

"Home shop for repair" refers to AAR rule 88, which allows a defective car on somebody else's railroad to be moved to its home shop on it's own railroad for repair, rather than having the railroad where the car sits now repair it and bill the owning RR.

Railroads can refuse interchange on a car that's older than 40 or 50 years, or longer than that since its last rebuild. My guess, and it is a guess, is that the R – AGE is the notation to anybody reading the reporting marks that that car is restricted from interchange due to age."

What do you guys think?
 #1483165  by MACTRAXX

Everyone-Just realized something: Are these the flat cars that are used to ship out M1/M3 cars to
be scrapped or going to be used to deliver M9 cars similar to how M7s were shipped to the LIRR?
MACTRAXX
 #1483186  by MACTRAXX

ConstanceR46 wrote:M3s are shipped on FICX cars. M9s are shipped on their own wheels.
CR: Thanks for that reply...These flatcars are former RBBX cars that are new to the LIRR...Any
idea what they could be used for? I would think for MW vehicles and materials...MACTRAXX
 #1483198  by cr9617

So you guys are right about the age restriction. Out of the 10 purchased only 1 is good for interchange. Supposedly 8 are already on the property with 2 more on the way. They'll be used for panels and track material since some of the current 89ft cars are getting scrapped.