Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1476285  by newkirk

Anyone know why these cars were nicknamed "Zip Cars " ?
Any other info about these cars are welcome.
(left click photo to enlarge)
 #1476286  by ConstanceR46

They were intended to "zip" to the fair.

I think the name only qualifies to the MP-75s, as the MP-72s were built along with the first series of ACMUs in '62.
 #1476301  by C-LINER 2001

My Dad who was an Engineer say they took off fast, in Push-Pull service did not stop well.
 #1476311  by scopelliti

OK, color me confused.

I thought the MP-75s were the powered versions (engineer's window, headlight, etc.). The image above appears to be a trailer - were they converted to trailers when the numbers were changed?

Were the zipcars the powered versions as originally delivered in 1963?

Clarification please...
 #1476312  by 452 Card

The talk back in the day was that the zip cars were the best solution to the MU fleet. When they were converted to the push-pull fleet, they tended to extend braking distances on a train because of their slow reaction to a decrease in brake pipe pressure when braking in a diesel-type air brake configuration. This was supposed to be because of the MU air brake system being converted to a configuration that it was not designed for. If you left the yard and looked back from the engine, if there were zips on the train (low roofs) you would "govern yourself accordingly" as to train handling (especially the OB branch.)
 #1476334  by R36 Combine Coach

ConstanceR46 wrote:They were intended to "zip" to the fair. I think the name only qualifies to the MP-75s, as the MP-72s were built along with the first series of ACMUs in '62.
The MP72s were from 1955. The first series of Pullman NYC ACMUs (purchased by PANYNJ) was 1962, second 1965.
scopelliti wrote:I thought the MP-75s were the powered versions (engineer's window, headlight, etc.). The image above appears to be a trailer - were they converted to trailers when the numbers were changed? Were the zipcars the powered versions as originally delivered in 1963? Clarification please...
The MP75s came in two variants: MP75C (cab unit motors) and MP75T (trailer, motorized). 2525-2536 were the cab units, 2675-2692 trailers. 2678 in the above image is original configuration as a MP75 trailer, a factory press photo at the Pullman works in Chicago. Numbers changed again during diesel conversion.
 #1476486  by MACTRAXX

Steve:

The LIRR middle 1960s World's Fair color scheme is arguably the best one that the railroad has
had in the past 60 years. The 1963 picture of the brand-new Zip Car shows how good it was...

Does anyone have a list of how many and where (if known) MP75 Zip Cars are preserved?

MACTRAXX
 #1476515  by jhdeasy

MACTRAXX wrote:Steve:

Does anyone have a list of how many and where (if known) MP75 Zip Cars are preserved?

MACTRAXX
This spreadsheet may answer your question. The missing link for the data is the remembering of the Zip Cars when converted to diesel push-pull service.

http://www.dominionrailvoyages.com/jhd/ ... lasses.pdf
 #1476545  by IslesFan

Did any of the MP72's ever run down to Ozone Park before that was closed?
 #1476549  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote:Steve: The LIRR middle 1960s World's Fair color scheme is arguably the best one that the railroad has
had in the past 60 years. The 1963 picture of the brand-new Zip Car shows how good it was...Does anyone have a list of how many and where (if known) MP75 Zip Cars are preserved?
MACTRAXX
Yes, a terrific photo and a neat scheme! BTW: Jack Deasy is the "Man" on all things related to Parlor Cars here: http://www.dominionrailvoyages.com/jhd/lirr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1482635  by Engineer Spike

My uncle was a LIRR engineer. He said the last of the pre M series MU cars had composition brake shoes, instead of cast iron. This made the stopping characteristics different. If someone wasn’t used to them, then it was easy to run past the intended stopping distance.

In the same subject, I started my career on BN, and often worked suburban passenger jobs. One engineer told me that the coaches had been converted from cast iron, to composition shoes, at the same time that the F40s replaced E9s. One day he pointed out where his spot to set the air was with the cast shoes, and where he has to do it now. The old spot was several car lengths closer to the platform.
 #1482662  by 4behind2

Many Engineers from the 1960's and mid 1970's will testify braking a passenger train with cars of disc brakes and cast iron brakes and spotting the cars at stations was an art form.

As for the zip cars, no more than three zips were used in a standard five car push-pull trainset for reasons stated in the previous posts. They also rode poorly, bouncing up and down at Queens Interlocking, or on bad track.

On composite brakes: One Pt. Jeff Engineer routinely burned off zip car brakes on his tour of duty................
 #1482693  by Head-end View

I rode some of those in about 1969, even as the M-1's were coming into service. From the passenger's point-of-view the MP-75's were very nice modern cars of the conventional design. I especially remember the bright interior lighting. A positive railroad memory from my teenage years. :-D
 #1482710  by R36 Combine Coach

Head-end View wrote:I rode some of those in about 1969, even as the M-1's were coming into service. From the passenger's point-of-view the MP-75's were very nice modern cars of the conventional design. I especially remember the bright interior lighting.
Even though they were the most modern pre-M1 equipment, the MP75s were still fully compatible with all of the electric fleet dating back to 1908.