Railroad Forums 

• Atlantic Avenue Brooklyn Terminal Discount Pricing

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1473359  by rr503

On a different note, looks like they're going forward with their Freedom Ticket program -- $60 for a combined LIRR/NYCT weekly ticket, good for travel between SE Queens Stations on the Atlantic and Montauk Branches and Atlantic Terminal.

See page 28 here:

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/ ... inance.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1473445  by MACTRAXX

RR and Everyone:

The new approved pilot program will be titled "Atlantic Terminal Ticket Field Study".

The implementation will be for a six to twelve month period beginning as early as June 2018.

There will be a $5 one way fare and a $60 weekly pass (LIRR ticket/7 day unlimited Metrocard)
representing the two experimental fare options sold during this test program.

The stations covered under this test will be:
Atlantic Terminal-Brooklyn
Nostrand Avenue
East New York
Jamaica
Hollis
Queens Village
Locust Manor
Laurelton
Rosedale

What is interesting here is that the $5 fare will be in effect at all times and be valid only on the day
of purchase similar to the current weekend City Ticket fare. These tickets are only valid between
any two of the nine stations covered during the test program.

These $5 tickets will only be available pre purchased from a ticket office or TVM and again similar
to the City Ticket the full on board one way penalty charge fares will be the LIRR's highest:
Zone 1-1 is $15 peak and $12 off peak; Zone 1-3 is $16 peak and $14 off peak.

The Weekly Pass will include a LIRR weekly ticket that will be valid Saturday thru Friday along
with a 7 day unlimited Metrocard - which will be valid for 7 days from its first use as normal.
What makes this interesting is that the unlimited Metrocard will not have to be used directly
along with the LIRR part and will be valid for any 7 day period until the card portion expires.

Expect more details to be released about this program during the coming weeks...MACTRAXX
 #1473710  by Jeff Smith

Per the Daily News
People living on the edges of Brooklyn and Queens could benefit from a proposed commuter program, the MTA says.

Residents of the boroughs may get a break on Long Island Rail Road fares as part a pilot program to ease their long commutes.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority board plans to vote this week on the Atlantic Ticket Field Study, which cuts LIRR one-way fares to $5 and one-week passes to $60 — roughly half the regular cost — on trips to Atlantic Terminal from nine rail stations.

If approved, the program will start in June at the earliest and could be in effect for up to a year.
 #1473711  by Jeff Smith

Per PIX11.com
The discount would be for commuters from stations in Queens Village, Hollis, St. Albans, Rosedale, Laurelton, Locust Manor, Jamaica, East New York and Nostrand Avenue.
 #1473724  by MACTRAXX

JS:

See my post from 5/19 on this topic - already approved by the MTA Finance Commitee

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=37266&start=165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately the NYDN article is subject to their paywall...

MACTRAXX
 #1473826  by hrfcarl

If this works, might the MTA consider refurbishing/reopening the Woodhaven station on the Atlantic Terminal Branch?

Under the Pataki administration, there were "talks" of extending the Atlantic Terminal Branch into lower Manhattan. One of the options was to connect this branch to an existing subway branch, but LIRR trains and subway cars cannot coexist, so this would not work unless the LIRR stopped running on the Atlantic branch. Since it seems the LIRR wants to turn this branch into a scoot between Jamaica and Atlantic Terminal, might they be willing to do so? With all the development at Atlantic terminal, is it sill possible to make such a connection, of course if funded?
 #1473841  by MACTRAXX

HRF:

Unless NYCT takes control of the Atlantic Branch Woodhaven Station will likely not be reopened.
Woodhaven has been closed for about 40 years at this point.

The Atlantic Branch at FBA was originally designed to allow through service via IRT routes into
Downtown Manhattan. Keep in mind the original MP41 MU cars were designed to be compatible
for use on these lines. The big change was making FBA Terminal useable by larger 85 foot cars
- especially for the M1 cars when they began to be placed in service back in 1968-69.

If there was a way to directly connect with a NYCT Subway B Division route it could be more
likely that a through operation would be practical instead of the more confined and smaller A
Division (IRT) infrastructure...

Back to the original fare topic: This program may be a prelude in transferring control of the
Atlantic Branch to NYC Transit by implementing these fare changes provided that the test
is successful...

MACTRAXX
 #1473932  by Jeff Smith

Thanks for the heads up!
MACTRAXX wrote:JS:

See my post from 5/19 on this topic - already approved by the MTA Finance Commitee

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=37266&start=165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately the NYDN article is subject to their paywall...

MACTRAXX
 #1474105  by rr503

I for one definitely plan to try this. I work closely with the MTA group that did a lot of the stuff relating to this fare change, so am very excited to see it go forward. It's sad that monthly charges are on the order of $240 instead of the proposed $215, and that the one way/RT does not innately include NYCT xfer, but hey, small steps. It's great that such a myopic institution as the LIRR went forward with this sort of thing at all.

You all should ride, by the way, if you can. Remember this is gonna be evaluating whether lower LIRR fares w/in NYC would be viable, so the more people they see using the discount, the more likely we are to expand it.
 #1474571  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

The MTA announced that the new LIRR "Atlantic Ticket" will begin sale on June 6th.

The one way Atlantic Ticket fare of $5 will be in effect at all times and be valid only on the day
of purchase. Atlantic Terminal to Queens Village and Rosedale will be the AT coverage area.

The NYC Transit Riders Council first proposed this test program to increase ridership and to save
transit costs for eastern Queens residents that would normally use the cheaper transit option of
buses connecting with subways to commute. Currently the combined cost of a 7 day unlimited
Metrocard and LIRR zone 1-3 Weekly Ticket is $104.25 - the new $60 fare should be a good
incentive with a substantial savings.

Look for more information concerning the new Atlantic Ticket being released before the June 6
start up date...MACTRAXX
 #1476186  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

Here is the details posted about the Atlantic Ticket:

http://web.mta.info/service/atlantic-ticket.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Add St. Albans to the list of the Atlantic Ticket stations.

If anyone has used the option of the Atlantic Ticket please post a reply...MACTRAXX
 #1476310  by KT3

Devil is in the details. This program will only deliver on its promise if it is truly as flexible and beneficial as the LIRR is saying it will be. Unfortunately, having seen how opaque and backwards the LIRR operates with other non-standard tickets, it's likely that a lack of proper education of the program elements and benefits - both for LIRR employees and LIRR customers - will lead to this program slowly and quietly being sunsetted at some point. The LIRR unfortunately does not have a great track record with these types of non-standard fare programs. The fact that the Atlantic Ticket can't be purchased through the MTA eTix app is a tell-tale sign that this new fare program has been rushed out without proper thought or consideration as to how customers actually ride the LIRR in 2018.
 #1476397  by adamj023

The Atlantic Ticket is confusing. Looks like they only apply discount if you specifically book an Atlantic Ticket.

I am located at a different LIRR station than Atlantic Ticket qualifies for but I can easly take a subway to Jamaica then book an Atlantic Ticket to get to Brooklyn for a discounted rate than what it cost before. I would have to pay for a subway ride in addition to the Atlantic Ticket price.

11.50 without atlantic ticket for a direct train to Atlantic Terminal Peak, 8.25 off peak from my station

Atlantic Ticket costs 5.00 for both peak and off peak apparently and pay per ride is 2.75 subway bringing the cost from 11.50 to 7.75 by just taking the subway to Jamaica.

Before, it was 10.25 Peak and 7.50 off peak from Jamaica to Atlantic Terminal plus a subway ticket for connection would have been 2.75 making the cost 13.00 peak and 10.25 via a LIRR and Subway connection previously.

What does this mean? It means previously I was better off going straight on LIRR for lower costs to Brooklyn and now I can save by taking a subway stop to Jamaica instead and save 3.75 each way during peak and .50 for Peak wih Atlantic Ticket.

Subway also has more trains moving to Jamaica than waiting for LIRR trains to connect at Jamaica. Problem is the MTA Subways are already heavily crowded and this will move more passengers to the subways to Jamaica The money savings will mean increased waiting times and even more people on the subways.

Seems counterintuitive because the connection via subway to Jamaica is more difficult without the added traffic meaning the discount for me personally would not make any real sense by using the subway even with the savings. But for those really strapped on cash, it may save some funds on a yearly basis, though I haven’t compared the rates to the yearly pass fees which reduce the existing costs over regular rates.

Booking two seperate LIRR tickets with Atlantic Ticket would cost me even more money than juat booking directly from my station a regular LIRR ticket.

I was not looking at it from the perspective of people taking the trains from places like Hollis, where it would be a direct discount without a subway connection from Hollis to Atlantic Terminal and for these stations it does seem to be a direct discount.
 #1476398  by adamj023

My own belief is they should reduce the MTA taxes we pay into the system and remove the Atlantic Ticket altogether.

Seens like a bad approach which will lead to a reduction of revenues meaning they will draw even more funds from taxpayers to make up for losses. Taxpayers should not have to subsidize discounts. The MTA has plenty of funds which goes wasted.

I realize its a trial but if leads to lost revenue, the MTA should eliminate it. If it gets a significant number of increased ridership and higher revenue figures then it should be kept. I don’t believe it will be successful but I could be wrong and the bean counters at MTA should see if it is beneficial or not.

Easier to simplify than make different ticket types which confuse people. City ticket is different because it increases shopping and tourism revenue. Atlantic Ticket is targeted towards regular commuters and people have to know to select it just like how you buy other specialized fares like City Ticket.