Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1470715  by njgrptfan

With the new addition of more service running to Greenport, some of the new service does not make sense.
The old weekend service, which had a Greenport arrival around noon, and 5pm has now been moved an hour earlier. So now weekenders wanting to go to Greenport have to get their ass to Penn (or other connecting station) one hour earlier! That is 8am if you are traveling from Penn. So now after getting up early for work all week, you now still have have to rush to catch an early train on the weekend if you are going out East for the day. Great thinking and planning LIRR!
Always one step up and two steps back for Greenport service!
 #1470813  by Ryand-Smith

Is it wrong I just want DMUs running hourly shuttle runs on the forks, because the low 120 passenger capacity would be ideal for say Ronkonkoma to fork runs and cost low.
 #1470922  by Backshophoss

KO to GY is the LAST section of Manual Block on the LIRR that has passenger service. There are passing sidings at Yaphank,Calverton,
Riverhead,Mattituck,and Southold.
Have yet to see the "new" schedule.
 #1471427  by MattW

Ryand-Smith wrote:Is it wrong I just want DMUs running hourly shuttle runs on the forks, because the low 120 passenger capacity would be ideal for say Ronkonkoma to fork runs and cost low.
I've thought the same thing. What would be really nice is if LIRR had some dual mode third rail/diesel DEMUs. Ideally, a full train could leave Penn station, then at Ronk, maybe the front pair separates, runs out to Greenport making for a one-seat ride without having to drag a lot of extra cars all the way out. Coming back, the two cars join up to an existing trainset in the station. I know splitting/joining conventional trains can be a burden, not sure about automatic coupler-type trains like these would be.