Railroad Forums 

• 03/02/18 Nor'easter(aka Riley)

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1463738  by MACTRAXX

BSH:

According to http://www.mta.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the LIRR is running - but with significant delays and line suspensions.

The Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma Branches are suspended due to a PSE&G LI power pole down
on the Main Line tracks near Westbury. Oyster Bay trains are also being affected. Other lines out
are the Port Washington Branch between Great Neck and Port Washington and the W. Hempstead
Branch as of this post (7:15 PM)

http://www.mta.info/status/LIRR/Ronkonkoma/25333927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mta.info/status/LIRR/PortJefferson/25333928" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mta.info/status/LIRR/OysterBay/25333929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a bad Friday night commute for anyone who must be out and about.
This storm has caused major problems such as power outages from high winds across LI and the
entire northeastern region. The winds are the major source of trouble in this storm...MACTRAXX
 #1463744  by Backshophoss

Been unable to lock on the WCBS 880 am stream,not sure if weather related or some form of "geoblocking" that the network does.
 #1463753  by Tommy Meehan

This is one of LIRR's announcements regarding the suspension of service on the Oyster Bay, Port Jefferson, and Ronkonkoma lines.
Posted: 03/02/2018 8:01PM - Oyster Bay, Port Jefferson, & Ronkonkoma service remains suspended until further notice as a result of a fallen PSEGLI pole across the tracks near Westbury caused by today's Nor'easter. The LIRR is currently operating hourly shuttle service between Penn & Mineola, making stops at Jamaica, New Hyde Park, & Merillon Ave. Thank you for your patience.
This is what I don't get. The junction from the Main Line to the Oyster Bay Branch is west of Westbury, located just east of the Mineola station. And they are operating to Mineola. Why would a blockage at Westbury mean Oyster Bay trains can't run?

West Hempstead trains are also suspended (downed utility line blocking track near Malvern). Of course in fairness, trains to Babylon, Far Rockaway, Hempstead, Long Beach and Montauk are operating. Port Washington service is out east of Great Neck (signal problems) but the rest of the line is operating.
 #1463797  by newkirk

I didn't take note of the time, but a couple of sets of C-3's with DM/DE-30's, passengers aboard made station stops at Farmingdale.

Did these trains do what I call a zig zag maneuver, travel the Montauk Div. to Babylon, change direction and go up the Central Branch to Bethpage, change direction again and continue to Ronkonkoma ?
 #1463820  by Tommy Meehan

newkirk wrote:I didn't take note of the time, but a couple of sets of C-3's with DM/DE-30's, passengers aboard made station stops at Farmingdale...
Was this last night? Service has been restored today, kind of. [see status below] The "Delays" on the Ronkonkoma line is explained as only involving the train from Greenport.
The 12:06PM train from Greenport due Ronkonkoma at 1:30PM is canceled due to a downed utility pole west of Yaphank Station. Bus service is being provided. Thank you for your patience.
However they are still showing that buses will substitute for trains between Ronkonkoma and Hicksville Saturday and Sunday because of work on the double track project. Train service is still being provided east of Ronkonkoma, or would be if the utility pole hadn't come down. Also, the service on the Oyster Bay Branch remains suspended because of trees and a utility line down. LIRR notes, their crews do not remove utility lines or poles. That is the responsibility of PSEGLI.

#1463852  by tahawus84

I took the 5:12 to Port Jeff from Hunterspoint. At Jamaica they changed the route and went nonstop to Babylon, then to Hicksville, then all stops to Port Jeff. Took 4 hours to get from Hunterspoint to Port Jeff. Train was completely packed. They handled the situation. It looks like none of the suspensions were the fault of the railroad all downed power lines.
 #1463856  by newkirk

Tommy Meehan wrote; Was this last night? Service has been restored today, kind of. [see status below] The "Delays" on the Ronkonkoma line is explained as only involving the train from Greenport.
It wasn't today, it was definitely last night. Later on I heard the same train going west, didn't see if there were any passengers aboard.
 #1463878  by Tommy Meehan

tahawus84 wrote:I took the 5:12 to Port Jeff from Hunterspoint. At Jamaica they changed the route and went nonstop to Babylon, then to Hicksville, then all stops to Port Jeff. Took 4 hours to get from Hunterspoint to Port Jeff...
Very creative! The current schedule shows Train 662 leaving Hunterspoint Avenue at 5:12, making only one stop (at Mineola) before reaching the Port Jeff Branch (doesn't show a stop at Hicksville; I think I once rode either that train or 664) then Syosset and all stops to Port Jefferson, arriving there at 7:00PM. Did you change ends at Babylon and Hicksville? I presume you had to. I think I've heard of LIRR doing that before but not very often. Sounds like the Ronkonkoma train might have taken the same routing.
 #1463922  by mp15ac

I was lucky by comparison to some of you. I was on the 5:13 to Babylon, and arrived only 40 minutes late to Lindenhurst.

What really pissed me off was that there was no mention about my train being delayed on the TrainTime app, and with the exception of Massapequa Park the train wasn't on any of the info signs at any of the other stops.

And the train personnel didn't check/collect tickets on the train. MTA, before you cry poverty and ask for a fair hike first make sure that ALL tickets are collected. Otherwise you are giving away free trips.

Stuart
 #1463955  by tahawus84

This was the second time I was on a PJ train and it took this route. Last time was about a year ago if not longer on a Sunday and they had that MOW accident near New Hyde Park. They switched directions in Babylon and Hicksville.
 #1463970  by Head-end View

I believe the photo above is looking west from Westbury Station. I heard an engineer call in to the Movement Bureau about this pole just before they suspended service.

And mp15ac, it's not the first time the TrainTime App didn't have accurate info. A few months ago I stood on the platform at Mineola looking at the signs displaying info about trains extensively delayed and being held at Jamaica at the same time the App was showing normal service.