Railroad Forums 

• Last Stop Cold Spring Harbor

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1457551  by Kilgore Trout

I've been reverse-commuting to Hicksville lately; the sparse evening westbound schedule offers ample time to observe comings and goings in the Hicksville area. I noticed that train 1256 terminates at Cold Spring Harbor.

Being rather unfamiliar with LIRR operations, I find this puzzling. Why CSH, of all places? What happens next? Does it run light to Huntington and become a later departure? Or does it go straight to the yard?
 #1457686  by gamer4616

1256 is scheduled to spin on the North Side Track (siding west of the station in Huntington) and head back west as 4259, a non-passenger train to Jamaica.

There is limited track space at the time in Huntington.
 #1457810  by Head-end View

Isn't a 1200 numbered train supposed to terminate at Hicksville? If it runs as a revenue train to Cold Spring Harbor, wouldn't a 16-1700 (Huntington) number be more correct?
 #1458517  by Kilgore Trout

gamer4616 wrote:1256 is scheduled to spin on the North Side Track (siding west of the station in Huntington) and head back west as 4259, a non-passenger train to Jamaica.

There is limited track space at the time in Huntington.
Hmmm. Looking at the schedule more closely - at Huntington, 1730 terminates at 6:34, 664 passes through at 6:45, and 1732 terminates at 6:51. 1256 would arrive at 6:53 or so, if it also went to Huntington. I can see a concern that even a couple of minutes of delay could throw off the whole operation. So this being a result of the available track space makes sense. Thanks!
Head-end View wrote:Isn't a 1200 numbered train supposed to terminate at Hicksville? If it runs as a revenue train to Cold Spring Harbor, wouldn't a 16-1700 (Huntington) number be more correct?
I only started this commute after the January 8th schedule change - perhaps 1256 formerly terminated in Hicksville but was extended to balance something else affected by the schedule changes?