Railroad Forums 

• Penn Station Central Control - LIRR Dispatchers

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1450330  by MNCRR9000

I was reading an article about the Penn Station Control Center during the summer construction and the article mentioned that the LIRR provides some dispatchers to PCC. How exactly does that arrangement work since PCC is primarily run by Amtrak? Does PCC still control the Port Washington line?

Link to the article

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.reute ... SKBN1AA262" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The MTA operates the Long Island Rail Road, whose riders come into Manhattan from the city's eastern suburbs. The LIRR also provides some control center dispatchers.
 #1450386  by krispy

PSCC is a joint-controlled facility where a certain amount of jobs are detailed by agreement to be staffed by the LIRR. This includes management, yardmasters and what Amtrak calls a "console operator". A CO is subject to bid off of the LIRR block operator list but serves as both a dispatcher/block operator. It seems odd compared to the LI system but works when used with NORAC, as opposed by the LIRR book of rules. Depending on where they CO works they could deal LIRR dispatchers (Section A), or various parts of Amtrak territory (40 Office, Amtrak Section A, etc.) The nuances of this is often misunderstood by the media and therefore reported incorrectly.

Amtrak never ran the Port Wash, it was controlled by Harold when it was open (LI Oprs) and then went to a new position with the Movement Bureau staffed off of the Dispatcher roster, known affectionately as "section a-and-a-half". At night one dispr does it all. This is the joint use Amtrak/LI territory, Pt. Wash, Mainline west of Jay and the NYA territory/secondaries. Given the work going on with rebuilding Penn, ESA and the usual trains, it's a busy job.

While some places use a position combining operator and dispatcher, like Metro-North with a RTC, James Dermody and Ray Kenny wanted to retain having 3 parties in the train movement process, the train crew, operator and a dispatcher for increased safety. This is needed given the volume of traffic we have in such diverse operating rules, especially when something goes wrong, like car strikes, suicides, etc.
 #1451214  by MNCRR9000

krispy wrote:PSCC is a joint-controlled facility where a certain amount of jobs are detailed by agreement to be staffed by the LIRR. This includes management, yardmasters and what Amtrak calls a "console operator". A CO is subject to bid off of the LIRR block operator list but serves as both a dispatcher/block operator. It seems odd compared to the LI system but works when used with NORAC, as opposed by the LIRR book of rules. Depending on where they CO works they could deal LIRR dispatchers (Section A), or various parts of Amtrak territory (40 Office, Amtrak Section A, etc.) The nuances of this is often misunderstood by the media and therefore reported incorrectly.

Amtrak never ran the Port Wash, it was controlled by Harold when it was open (LI Oprs) and then went to a new position with the Movement Bureau staffed off of the Dispatcher roster, known affectionately as "section a-and-a-half". At night one dispr does it all. This is the joint use Amtrak/LI territory, Pt. Wash, Mainline west of Jay and the NYA territory/secondaries. Given the work going on with rebuilding Penn, ESA and the usual trains, it's a busy job.

While some places use a position combining operator and dispatcher, like Metro-North with a RTC, James Dermody and Ray Kenny wanted to retain having 3 parties in the train movement process, the train crew, operator and a dispatcher for increased safety. This is needed given the volume of traffic we have in such diverse operating rules, especially when something goes wrong, like car strikes, suicides, etc.
Thanks for all the great info very interesting. Is the LIRR Movement Bureau still in Jamaica Station or did they move to the Jamaica Central Control building?
 #1451338  by Train dispatcher

Thanks for all the great info very interesting. Is the LIRR Movement Bureau still in Jamaica Station or did they move to the Jamaica Central Control building?
I can answer this as I was just in NY due to the birth of my granddaughter. The movement bureau is still on the second floor in Jamaica station building. I popped in for a visit to see the old place (I was a Chief Dispatcher). After being retired from the LIRR for 16 years, I knew exactly 3 people including the CTO Rob Free. Time flies.