Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1446097  by BuddR32

Thanks Steve,
I wonder how long after the electrification date that sign stuck around.
 #1446104  by Teutobergerwald

The Mineola-Garden City Freight Yard had a sign or two back in the '80's-early '90s, don't know about today. Seeing motive power laying over there was rare, but when you did catch it, it was good. Alco C420 #228 with a cut of Penn Central (yes, Penn Central) gondolas and El Rexene, WR Grace & American Hoescht covered hoppers and a yellow caboose in a snowstorm back in the mid-80's comes to mind. And a few boxcars and reefers spotted on the other tracks in the yard, as well, that day. Of course, no camera- this was while leaving the Mall as a teenager, and I was lucky to see what I saw.
Last edited by Teutobergerwald on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1446135  by RGlueck

In the 60's and early 70's, one could still find keystone whistle posts, diamond crossing signs, kerosene block limit signals, kerosene lamps and lanterns of all kinds, and some really cool cast-iron third rail signs. Most went straight into junk. I wonder what remains today, unnoticed or squirreled away?
 #1446154  by Sir Ray

Teutobergerwald wrote:The Mineola-Garden City Freight Yard had a sign or two back in the '80's-early '90s, don't know about today.
Well, for the record nowadays there is a sign on the fence facing Stewart Avenue - white metal sign, MTA logo upper left, and the wording
"Long Island Railroad"
"Garden City"
"Signal & Communication Facility"
"790" (in large type size)

For some reason I believe the (free-standing) yard sign in the early 90's had the wording "Intermodal", but I don't have an image of it either.
 #1446306  by newkirk

Massapequa, where Sunrise Hwy.ducks under a very long trestle.
The trestle would be to the right of the photo. Sunrise Mall in the background.
I remember that bill board. More like a command than a advertisement if you ask me. lol
 #1446342  by newkirk

Since you asked.

Here's a sign at the Farmingdale Main St. grade crossing photographed ten minutes ago.
Note the spelling of rail road, not railroad. Also LIRR PD pre-dates MTA Police.

#1446360  by ExCon90

I don't have a photo, but I'm sure I remember seeing one (maybe on here?) of a WATCH THE GAP sign somebody placed on the edge of the pier at Greenport. Nothing beyond the sign but water.
 #1446468  by MADDOG

lirr sign in Penn.JPG
lirr sign in Penn.JPG (475.84 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
Sign attached to pillar at west end of track 20 in Penn.
MADDOG