Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1434453  by tahawus84

What's wrong with them? You can barely see out them when the suns out. Look like they were sprayed with chemical and never rinsed and it etched the glass
 #1434470  by Head-end View

I think I've noticed that too recently. In bright sunlight they almost look broken, the way a car window does when it shatters in a million pieces.
 #1434473  by Amtrak7

May be something to do with the sun exposure. Unlike other railroads LIRR MU's are almost never turned, so the southside will always be the southside.
 #1434520  by RailTrek

Amtrak7 wrote:May be something to do with the sun exposure. Unlike other railroads LIRR MU's are almost never turned, so the southside will always be the southside.
Are there ANY loop tracks on the system at all?
 #1434532  by Head-end View

I don't think there are. LIRR is strictly linear, east-west. Odd-numbered equipment always faces west; even-numbered faces east, always. So yes, the same side of the train will always face north or south. :wink:
 #1434572  by onorclose7

The chemical used to wash the trains has an adverse effect on the window over time.
 #1434576  by freightguy

Can you wye through the Hollis/Holban combo of Montauk and shop complex area? Maybe years ago both legs of Belmont to do the same with M-series equipment?
 #1434604  by onorclose7

Yes, you can turn trains around at the Belmont wye. A sharp eye would have caught a few backwards trains on Saturday during the Stakes
 #1434617  by JamesRR

Noticed the same thing on NJT's new Multi-Level cars. Looks like you're looking through a filter of some sort.

I assumed it was the car wash chemicals doing something to the glass. NJT's trains are looped in Sunnyside by day, and then sit in the Morrisville Yard at night, so they're always being rotated around.
 #1434621  by freightguy

On or close,

Thanks years back the east leg was out because a freight tore up the third rail coming out of Belmont.
 #1434745  by BuddR32

It is sun exposure, notice how its mainly on the south side of the cars. The north side windows only show light hazing. Also note, the C3 windows are glass and show none of these issues.
 #1434752  by geico

With the little "cracks" in the glass for lack of a better term, is it still FRA safe?
 #1435240  by gregorygrice

geico wrote:With the little "cracks" in the glass for lack of a better term, is it still FRA safe?
There are no cracks in the glass.