Railroad Forums 

• M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1520321  by BuddR32

Head-end View wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:50 pm Did anyone here who rode the new train notice how the doors sound when opening and closing? I've always hated that sound on the M-7's. That whining jackscrew noise. :(
The M9 uses linear motors on the doors, not screwdrive, all you hear is the rollers.
 #1520351  by newkirk

Has the M-9 assignment schedule changed ?

If so, please post.
 #1520359  by Head-end View

Thanks BuddR32. I'll be looking forward to those quiet doors. And also, I assume the M9's have the same full-width cab with blacked-out cab door window as the M7's? Ya' understand I have to ask that question as I hold onto a glimmer of hope. LOL
 #1520390  by BM6569

Finally some details were revealed from the upcoming MTA Capital Plan.

"The LIRR also will spend $487 million on 160 new M9A train cars, which should be a step up from the M9 cars that made their debut last week. The railroad said the expansion of the fleet will add at least 25,000 seats for commuters. The LIRR already has purchased 202 M9 trains at a cost of $550 million."

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/tra ... 1.36400386
 #1520402  by AlKaLI

newkirk wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:46 pm Has the M-9 assignment schedule changed ?

If so, please post.

Newkirk:
Not sure. I did see an 8-car M-9 train on 762, the 5:04 to Hempstead from Penn Station on Monday afternoon. This is as the schedule posted earlier.
 #1520404  by newkirk

Not sure. I did see an 8-car M-9 train on 762, the 5:04 to Hempstead from Penn Station on Monday afternoon. This is as the schedule posted earlier.
I only saw those M-9s on train #762 only once. Conventional stuff since.

From the MTA website
The M9 trainset is expected to operate on these same runs on Thursday (Sept.12). On Friday (Sept. 13), the LIRR expects to lengthen the trainset to 10 cars and operate it on a different set of trains. The trainset will be lengthened again by two more cars, on Sept. 20, with the resulting 12-car trainset serving yet a different collection of trains throughout the days that follow.
This is what I was referring to. When the the consist is lengthened, they would certainly be in service on other lines. I was wondering just which lines. Sorry I was not clear.
 #1520496  by awtprod

Saw the train set tonight (9/19) leaving Long Beach as train # 869. It was my first time seeing them in revenue. Hope they get assigned to my trains soon!
 #1520854  by newkirk

geico wrote:: The M9 set is now 12 cars. Was running on the 451 from Penn to KO last night.
Just saw them at Farmingdale about 15 min ago as well as 6:05am yesterday morning.
 #1520857  by MattAmity90

Okay lets see if we have this straight. For everyone tracking the M9 revenues, I want to be sure what branches have had a revenue M9 run. This is what I know when it comes to branches:

1.) Port Jefferson/Huntington Branch (obviously Huntington westward).
2.) Hempstead Branch.
3.) Port Washington Branch.
4.) Ronkonkoma Branch.
5.) Long Beach Branch.

I'm drawing a question mark on these.

1.) Babylon Branch.
2.) Far Rockaway Branch.
3.) West Hempstead Branch.
4.) Belmont.
5.) Oyster Bay (East Williston only).
 #1520889  by NYR2218

MattAmity90 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:28 pm Okay lets see if we have this straight. For everyone tracking the M9 revenues, I want to be sure what branches have had a revenue M9 run. This is what I know when it comes to branches:

1.) Port Jefferson/Huntington Branch (obviously Huntington westward).
2.) Hempstead Branch.
3.) Port Washington Branch.
4.) Ronkonkoma Branch.
5.) Long Beach Branch.

I'm drawing a question mark on these.

1.) Babylon Branch.
2.) Far Rockaway Branch.
3.) West Hempstead Branch.
4.) Belmont.
5.) Oyster Bay (East Williston only).
The Babylon branch has seen a few revenue runs.
 #1521314  by newkirk

This morning, a 6 car train of M-9's passed through Farmingdale.

The Ronkonkoma line uses more than 6 cars, so are the newer cars going through a 30 day test run ?
 #1521650  by DogBert

Not sure what train they're on but I've seen them pass through LIC heading towards Penn nearly every day this week. Looked like a longer 8-12 car train.

With the M9s coming in, is there a plan for disposing of the M3s? Will they slowly be shipped off for scrap w/frontier?
 #1521653  by gregorygrice

DogBert wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:30 am Not sure what train they're on but I've seen them pass through LIC heading towards Penn nearly every day this week. Looked like a longer 8-12 car train.

With the M9s coming in, is there a plan for disposing of the M3s? Will they slowly be shipped off for scrap w/frontier?

M3s won't start going until many more M9 sets are in service.

So far there's a 12 car set in service and a 6 car set daily testing.