Railroad Forums 

• Elmont/Belmont Race Track Station

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1329693  by Teutobergerwald

NYA is still serving Belmont- yet another BNSF boxcar spotted at the end of the east-most track in the terminal. Never any other line's boxcar.....
 #1329714  by TrainPhotos

Teutobergerwald wrote:NYA is still serving Belmont- yet another BNSF boxcar spotted at the end of the east-most track in the terminal. Never any other line's boxcar.....
Does the race track have a shipping contract with them?
 #1329842  by Backshophoss

This could be "bedding material" aka baled hay for the stables at Belmont,most horse owners are picky about
the feed for their horses.
It is possible that a bunch of owners got together for a bulk order of feed from a certain supplier,
"cheaper by the carload" :wink:
 #1329934  by TrainPhotos

Backshophoss wrote:This could be "bedding material" aka baled hay for the stables at Belmont,most horse owners are picky about
the feed for their horses.
It is possible that a bunch of owners got together for a bulk order of feed from a certain supplier,
"cheaper by the carload" :wink:
From some scenic farm out on the high prairies, no doubt! :P

Any more photos? Are they leaving the platforms with steps?
 #1331670  by Backshophoss

There's an other chance of a triple crown winner(American Pharoah),will the bridge to the race track be ready?
and do the other plaforms still have the steps?
 #1331775  by CentralValleyRail

Backshophoss wrote:There's an other chance of a triple crown winner(American Pharoah),will the bridge to the race track be ready?
and do the other plaforms still have the steps?
You would think so. However this year the attendance is going to be capped at 90,000. Last years attendance was somewhere in the 103,000 range so right there that's less people. I'd still expect to wait 60-90 minutes after the race. What will help a little is The Goo Goo Dolls will be performing a concert after the race.

Last year the race was around 6:45pm, we stayed for the final race (7:45pm) and left around 8:00pm. The line for the train was thousands deep still so we decided to walk to Queens Village station. Was about a 15-20 minute walk and a lot of other people had the same idea. However when the next train came (8:30-8:45ish) everyone was able to get on. All in all it was a LONG commute as going to Belmont Park from Penn took almost 2 hours.

It will be interesting to see if they can add a few more trains now with the platform improvements. I.E. quicker turn around.
 #1331778  by MattAmity90

The Goo Goo Dolls performing afterwards, nice. I would definitely stay afterwards, glad they made those improvements and in such a quick window too.
 #1331870  by CentralValleyRail

MattAmity90 wrote:The Goo Goo Dolls performing afterwards, nice. I would definitely stay afterwards, glad they made those improvements and in such a quick window too.
Same here looking forward to the concert almost as much as the race.
 #1331876  by LRail

Was anyone at the Preakness simulcast at Belmont? Maybe some photo updates on the construction?
 #1331928  by TrainPhotos

It is wonderful that they put in high platforms, but what about elevators for full ADA compliance, is that in the plans?
 #1332024  by MattAmity90

TrainPhotos wrote:It is wonderful that they put in high platforms, but what about elevators for full ADA compliance, is that in the plans?
More than likely yes, but it probably won't happen until after the 2015 season is over, what they wanted to do was get the platforms installed to make it easier to enter and leave the train.
 #1332025  by MattAmity90

CentralValleyRail wrote:
MattAmity90 wrote:The Goo Goo Dolls performing afterwards, nice. I would definitely stay afterwards, glad they made those improvements and in such a quick window too.
Same here looking forward to the concert almost as much as the race.
I saw them back in 2012, and seeing your all-time favorite band playing and mixing it in with the Long Island Rail Road is just great. They are the symbols of my childhood, along with NASCAR.
 #1332340  by TrainPhotos

MattAmity90 wrote:
TrainPhotos wrote:It is wonderful that they put in high platforms, but what about elevators for full ADA compliance, is that in the plans?
More than likely yes, but it probably won't happen until after the 2015 season is over, what they wanted to do was get the platforms installed to make it easier to enter and leave the train.

That does make sense!