Railroad Forums 

• Elmont/Belmont Race Track Station

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1333122  by LRail

On the special timetable for the O.A.R. concert it's mentioned that the station is accessible to mobility impaired customers. Where are the new ramps located?
 #1333274  by CentralValleyRail

Belmont Stakes Schedule has been posted... Same amount of trains as last year going to the race. That gap between 1:33 and 2:35 needs to be plugged. That's what caused a stampede last year on the 2:35. (witnessed and was part of it first hand)

http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/Belm ... s-2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1333286  by MattAmity90

LRail wrote:On the special timetable for the O.A.R. concert it's mentioned that the station is accessible to mobility impaired customers. Where are the new ramps located?
Probably set up ramps at the ends of the platforms where the bump stops for the trains are.
 #1333309  by LRail

What is the new plan to increase the number of trains leaving after the race? Are they going to use the east leg of the wye?
 #1333329  by Amtrak7

LRail wrote:What is the new plan to increase the number of trains leaving after the race? Are they going to use the east leg of the wye?
That, and stack trains between QUEENS and Covert Ave (Hempstead Branch). Every other Hempstead train will not operate east of Jamaica, 3pm-10pm.
 #1333472  by LRail

Will they be using just the new platforms or making use of the old ones too? What's the condition of the east leg too? In some pics it looks to be in pretty bad shape.
 #1333654  by MattAmity90

17513473791_4589f16378_z.jpg
It looks like they are turning Belmont into a carbon copy of Hempstead, Port Washington, and Long Beach because on the South end of the high platforms they have ramps set up, and will probably put a horizontal concrete platform to connect both. In addition they will move the buffer bumps within the track area.
 #1333880  by LRail

Great photo in The NY Times. Almost finished with the yellow striping and new signage.
 #1333941  by boblothrope

Amtrak7 wrote:
LRail wrote:What is the new plan to increase the number of trains leaving after the race? Are they going to use the east leg of the wye?
That, and stack trains between QUEENS and Covert Ave (Hempstead Branch). Every other Hempstead train will not operate east of Jamaica, 3pm-10pm.
That's terrible. Is that really the best they could do?

Trains will depart Belmont Park every 15 minutes. They have to block a mainline track to accomplish this, when Belmont is a 5-track terminal station? And they can't run Hempstead trains more than every 2 hours through the remaining single track?
 #1334041  by northpit

if the rr got creative it is possible to move 2 departures at once. this could be done by utilizing the east leg of belmont wye.problem is it would entail a reverse move into the yard via east leg(because the equipment would have to face its original direction)and then a reverse move back out.all time consuming notwithstanding accomodations in queens interlocking.and like swingman says its all at a snails pace due to 5mph speed restriction in belmont yard. I guess the dream version would be a 12 car siding type station adjacent to ML4 with people movers to the track, but a little too much for just a few days a year
 #1334078  by Patrick A.

Was at Belmont this past Saturday and it appears that the station situation is much improved since my last visit in the Fall for the Jockey Club Gold Cup. Forgot how dreadfully slow the speeds are in the terminal area (5 mph?), is there any non-costly way to increase? Seems like that is the principal bottleneck in terms of train service, now that the high-levels have been installed.
 #1334093  by GooStats

I am making my first trip to Belmont on Saturday, so I have some questions:
1. With Hempstead Branch service being reduced, do you think I can get out of the racetrack area quickly enough to make the 7:33 PM out of Queens Village?
2. Somebody already bought me a round trip ticket from NYP- Jamaica. Could I use that at Queens Village (yes I know City Ticket is much cheaper)?

Thank you for any and all help.
 #1334106  by MACTRAXX

GooStats wrote:I am making my first trip to Belmont on Saturday, so I have some questions:
1. With Hempstead Branch service being reduced, do you think I can get out of the racetrack area quickly enough to make the 7:33 PM out of Queens Village?
2. Somebody already bought me a round trip ticket from NYP- Jamaica. Could I use that at Queens Village (yes I know City Ticket is much cheaper)?

Thank you for any and all help.
GS:

1 - Allow yourself 20 to 30 minutes to walk to Queens Village Station by walking west on Hempstead Turnpike
(which becomes Hempstead Avenue at the Queens line) to Springfield Boulevard north to QV Station...

2 - The $4.25 City Ticket will be available at and valid to Queens Village Station and will save you $3 over the
regular off peak Zone 3 fare of $7.25 - just remember that your off peak tickets are valid for 60 days and if you
choose to travel to QV you would need to specify that to the train crew member when the ticket is used so the
ride does not get cancelled meaning that you would need another ticket between Jamaica and QV...Using the OP
round trip would definitely be better then paying the on board charge for not having a ticket at all which is $13
one way - which in effect is a $8.75 penalty for not having a valid City Ticket - the highest LIRR penalty fare...

Enjoy the Belmont Stakes - and I am hoping that this race lives up to the hype...

MACTRAXX