Railroad Forums 

Forum for the discussion of the Budd Company and Budd-Thyssen through bankruptcy. Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_Company

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1485296  by newkirk

Kelly&Kelly wrote: Bill, in case nobody's told you lately: You have some excellent and unusual photos. Thanks for sharing. Lots of memories there...
Thank you, here ya go, chew on these three !!
Click to enlarge.
 #1485304  by Nasadowsk

Interestingly, a data sheet on the Garrett 831 shows that it's got a shaft horsepower of about 500, running speed of 39,000 RPM (!) and an output shaft speed based on reduction of 1200 to 3600 rpm (based on application).

No weight is listed. Interestingly, while trying to find more info, I found a book from Garrett talking about a closed cycle gas turbine fueled by the decay heat of plutonium spheres, for space power generation....
 #1485576  by MACTRAXX

BM and Everyone:
The three pictures above of the two incarnations of the GT-1 and GT-2 Turbine Car were:
1-The GT-1 car when it was new back in 1966-likely taken at or near the Budd Red Lion car plant.
2-A description on how the turbine operates. I have seen ephemera about the GT-1 car that does
show how this car operates that included this drawing as part that the NRHS National Library had
in their collection (currently in storage since March 2008).
3-GT-2 at the west end of Floral Park Station...I discovered that this very same picture was used
in the February 1971 issue of Trains Magazine in a LIRR article on Page 43 thanks to some recent
RMLI ephemera that I looked at this past week...
Good memories of this unique test car...MACTRAXX
 #1485670  by newkirk

MACTRAXX:

So the GT-1 & 2 was the 1966 Budd car.

So what about the 1975 GE & Garret gas turbine train sets, what was their model designation ?

It wasn't GT-1 0r 2. I was told it was GT/E

#1485677  by 452 Card

Lets back it up a bit. What is the long hose(or cable) extending into the pilot? Was it being towed by an engine using a brake pipe through hose to comply with braking differences? This all happened before my LIRR career and it gives me an impulse to compare these tests to my own crazy new equipment testing.
 #1485682  by DutchRailnut

looks like regular brake pipe hose , more interesting is guy with fire extinguisher ?? trouble stop?
 #1485843  by nyandw

GT-2 Test Car LIRR Press Release, July 29, 1970 - MTA Photos: Leon Hoffman
Mineola to Ronkonkoma Shakedown Run with LIRR and MTA, Budd, and Garrett engineers assembled to observe the GT-2 performance

The rest of the press release: Here's my page: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/gastur ... necars.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1485848  by MACTRAXX

newkirk wrote:MACTRAXX:

So the GT-1 & 2 was the 1966 Budd car.

So what about the 1975 GE & Garret gas turbine train sets, what was their model designation ?

It wasn't GT-1 0r 2. I was told it was GT/E

BM: You have this correct...GT-1 and GT-2 were the same car: 1966-67 for GT-1 and 1969-70
was the testing years for GT-2.

The 1975 vintage Garrett cars 4001-4004 and GE cars 4005-4008 were the GT-E car fleet.
MACTRAXX
 #1486072  by newkirk

Here's a view of the GT/E truck. Notice that the 3rd rail shoe would swing away in diesel territory
 #1486079  by MACTRAXX

BM: This is a clever design to protect the third rail shoe outside electrified territory.
One problem: Is this truck on one of the Garrett or GE cars? MACTRAXX
 #1486085  by workextra

The turbine M1s were ahead of their time. What’s sad is that 40 or so years later we can’t come up with a modern now M9 variant of these cars. Clearly in a M9 version a Diesel engine would be the power plant of choice and would be fully duel mode.
These photos of the turbines are very nice. Thanks For sharing them.
 #1486104  by newkirk

MACTRAXX wrote: BM: This is a clever design to protect the third rail shoe outside electrified territory.
One problem: Is this truck on one of the Garrett or GE cars? MACTRAXX
That picture was of the Garrett cars on the November 1977 ERA fan trip.