Railroad Forums 

• MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdale

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1483746  by freightguy

I wonder if the half hourly service is also waiting on the new mid-Suffolk Yard i.e. Ronkonkoma being expanded? That would give capacity to hold more trains and turn more trains. I’m surprised that is not mentioned more with the double track project.
 #1483764  by Head-end View

I think equipment-wise the LIRR could probably provide more mid-day and weekend service without much of a problem. The issue will be that more train crews are needed which means more hiring and more money the LIRR needs to spend. Whether that will happen remains to be seen.
 #1484173  by MattAmity90

No new photos have showed up on Mr. Hand's Flickr page, which leaves me with a few questions. First though is what I do know.

-Obviously with this being early Tuesday Morning the 28th, the special weekday timetable that went into effect on the 13th continues through Friday the 31st.
-We just got done with the final August weekend outage, and I don't think September 1st-2nd will be out.

The questions:

-Obviously service in between Ronkonkoma and Central Islip was shifted to the new second track while the original running track is being quickly torn out and replaced at the same time with concrete ties.
-DK is now three tracks from North to South (new MAIN1, new MAIN2, then the siding)
-Wyandanch is still going over final installations, with Solari signs installed and platform lighting going up.
-Pinelawn has both ramps completed with railing separating the tracks and walkways, followed by two pedestal signals located just before Wellwood on MAIN1, and a smaller one just West of Wellwood in between the third rails.
-FARM most likely has the second track connected, but I don't know.

They said this was to be completed by September 2018?
 #1484305  by geico

SwingMan wrote:
geico wrote:Extend the 409 to Farmingdale train to Ronkonkoma to take some pressure off the 355.

Add another train between 553 and 621 from Penn to Ronk.[/quote}

That's what they're doing starting Tuesday..
Am I missing something? Do you see something I dont?

I just looked at the new schedule...
8-29-2018 8-18-22 AM.png
8-29-2018 8-18-22 AM.png (117.16 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
 #1484390  by MattAmity90

geico wrote:
SwingMan wrote:
geico wrote:Extend the 409 to Farmingdale train to Ronkonkoma to take some pressure off the 355.

8-29-2018 8-18-22 AM.png
What I'm seeing is PM PEAK trains only stopping at Deer Park and Brentwood using Platform A (which is the Westbound Platform) and arriving at Ronkonkoma only opening their doors to Platform C when it should be both B and C?
 #1484405  by geico

MattAmity90 wrote:
geico wrote:
SwingMan wrote:

8-29-2018 8-18-22 AM.png
What I'm seeing is PM PEAK trains only stopping at Deer Park and Brentwood using Platform A (which is the Westbound Platform) and arriving at Ronkonkoma only opening their doors to Platform C when it should be both B and C?
Everything opens to B. They only list A or C at Ronkonkoma to denote which track it will be coming in. Its always been this way.
 #1484612  by Trainmaster5

What exactly is the status of the double track project today ? I mistakenly believed that the project was completed and that more service would be provided between Ronkonkoma and Farmingdale. That the approximately 3 hour gap westbound on weekday afternoons would be finally eliminated. I don't see any evidence of that in the new schedule. Just this afternoon a westbound train was reported being delayed because of a late eastbound train in single track territory between KO and CI.. WTH.
 #1484618  by MattAmity90

Trainmaster5 wrote:What exactly is the status of the double track project today ? I mistakenly believed that the project was completed and that more service would be provided between Ronkonkoma and Farmingdale. That the approximately 3 hour gap westbound on weekday afternoons would be finally eliminated. I don't see any evidence of that in the new schedule. Just this afternoon a westbound train was reported being delayed because of a late eastbound train in single track territory between KO and CI.. WTH.
They are replacing the other track in between Ronkonkoma and Central Islip. Service was switched over to the new track, so instead of them utilizing Platform B, they are using Platform A.

Edward posted new photos!

-Brentwood's station building is undergoing renovations, they are cleaning up along the ROW, but several cones have been laid on the platforms. It seems that Brentwood will see new lighting installed.

-Deer Park is seeing station building renovation, portions of the platform being replaced (possibly new lights). JS had its' gantry removed, and where DK is located is now straightened out with the second track and new siding.

-Wyandanch's platforms are completed with snow-melt system, new lighting, a new station building, the old 1987 depot was razed :( and I'm not sure if both platforms are in service but the Solari signs on both platforms are working. Areas surrounding the station have been cleaned up with crews removing equipment.

-Pinelawn has its' new turnabout paved where the station will have supplemented parking with an actual parking lot. Fencing and railing with lights have been installed with Solaris, but it is still a mystery with the new pedestal signal.

-At FARM the new track is connected, the FARM2 gantry will most likely be removed.
RONKONKOMA11.jpg
RONKONKOMA15.jpg
RONKONKOMA16.jpg
 #1484636  by MACTRAXX

Trainmaster5 wrote:What exactly is the status of the double track project today ? I mistakenly believed that the project was completed and that more service would be provided between Ronkonkoma and Farmingdale. That the approximately 3 hour gap westbound on weekday afternoons would be finally eliminated. I don't see any evidence of that in the new schedule. Just this afternoon a westbound train was reported being delayed because of a late eastbound train in single track territory between KO and CI.. WTH.
T5 and Everyone:
The Second Track Project was to be completed along with the new schedules effective September
4 - the day after Labor Day 2018. There is ongoing track work under way this weekend without
any outages that will require bus substitution.

I did take notice to a special Ronkonkoma Branch schedule that has been posted by the MTA that
has this caption instead of an effective date: http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
**UPON COMPLETION OF MAIN LINE 2ND TRACK PROJECT**
This schedule PDF can be found near the bottom of the listed schedule page with this listing:
"Upon Completion of Main Line Second Track Project (date to be announced) the Ronkonkoma
Branch Timetable (below) will take effect. Date To Be Announced."

Posting this timetable with an optional start date TBA likely gives the LIRR an "out" just in case
that more time is needed to fully complete the necessary track work allowing full two track service.
This long stretch of dry weather that central Long Island is currently experiencing (there has been
little if any significant rain for more then a week) is no doubt contributing to get this program to
the finish line - on time if the new schedule takes effect Tuesday September 4th...MACTRAXX
 #1484658  by nyandw

[quote="MattAmity90"][quote="Trainmaster5"]
Edward posted new photos! -Wyandanch's platforms are completed with snow-melt system, new lighting, a new station building, the old 1987 depot was razed :( and I'm not sure if both platforms are in service but the Solari signs on both platforms are working. Areas surrounding the station have been cleaned up with crews removing equipment.

This is the view W. and the photo date? 2.When was the 1987 station razed? Thanks!
Last edited by nyandw on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.