Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1107710  by jetset

Hello everyone.

I am a long time reader, first time poster, daily LIRR commuter. I am typically obsessed with all things transportation so I'll probably end up asking a lot of how/why questions but that's just me... I like to know how things work.

I had a question and figured maybe somebody here has the answer. Back in July the MTA announced service investments that would begin to roll out in September. I believe November was the month for half hourly Ronkonkoma service during off-peak periods. Now that the new November schedules are active I see no mention of the half hourly service. Is this still happening or is it on hold due to Hurricane Sandy?

Thanks!
 #1107732  by Backshophoss

Untill all repairs/replacement work is done,"service investments" are on hold,with Long Beach turned into a "scoot" type service
till the bridge and substations are done,there's a bunch of connections that cannot happen.:(
There's a bunch of missing "puzzle" pieces right now,it will take time to fill them in.;)
 #1107744  by Head-end View

Jetset, welcome to the board. You'll find a good community of rail-buffs and railroaders on here who can probably answer any reasonable questions you have on virtually any topic related to the LIRR. Have fun!
 #1107806  by Amtrak7

No they're not on hold!

The new Nov 12 schedules show the half hourly Farmingdale weekend service as well as half hourly holiday season only on Pt Wash and (when its back) Long Beach. Also added are a couple extra late night trains.
 #1107902  by jetset

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Amtrak7... I just looked over the Nov 12th schedule for Ronkonkoma and saw no mention of the half hourly service. Where did you see this?

Hopefully they add it soon! This line suffers from lack of service and overcrowding.

EDITED to say I just noticed the 3 trains added each way on the weekend! I was looking for them during the week off peak which I hope they eventually add too.
 #1107910  by Amtrak7

jetset wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Amtrak7... I just looked over the Nov 12th schedule for Ronkonkoma and saw no mention of the half hourly service. Where did you see this?

Hopefully they add it soon! This line suffers from lack of service and overcrowding.

EDITED to say I just noticed the 3 trains added each way on the weekend! I was looking for them during the week off peak which I hope they eventually add too.
The other improvements/restorations come in March.
 #1107917  by Backshophoss

LIRR is in a state of flux due to Sandy,they have rerouted or anulled trains due to signal problems on lines 1+2 to NY Penn
and LIC/Hunterspoint area due to flood damage. Add to that many slow orders across the system due to track conditions,
damage,etc. The only unknown is how many M-3's,M-7's,and C-3's got waterlogged and waiting for shop space/time
to be worked on at Hillside.
 #1107922  by lirr42

Yeah, according to the graphic in the other thread (reproduced below), the Farmingdale weekend service was the only increase set to begin at this time, all the remaining ones come on line in March (right along with the pretty fare increase) except the Montauk one which is a seasonal restoration--that'll come in May.

Table of what's new and when it's happening:
 #1108027  by jetset

Thanks for that update lirr42. Of particular interest is that service restoration from Hunterspoint to Port Jeff. In my opinion Hunterspoint is another destination that is very underserved and it will be interesting to see how the restoration of this train works out.