Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1082895  by gprimr1

I went on my first real LIRR photo trip this Friday. Didn't get very far due to clouds coming in but one thing I noticed, a lot of trains, at least on the main line, seem to run on the wrong side of the track for good photos.

Anyone have any good tips on places? I def want to go back to Forest Hills.
 #1082903  by lirr42

Trains can run on both sides of the track on most lines, as lots have 261 signalling, but you see the most wrong-railing going on during rush hour.

Here's the most common places to see trains wrong-rail:
Mainline: West of Jamiaca
AM: trains to NY use tracks 1, 2, and 3. Track 4 is used eastbound only (that has 251 signalling)
PM: trains from NY use tracks 1, 2, and 4. Track 3 is used westbound only (that has 251 signalling)

Mainline: Jamaica-QUEENS
AM: trains to NY/Bklyn use tracks 1, 3, and sometimes 2. Track 4 is used mainly used eastbound only
PM: trains from NY/Bklyn use tracks 2, 4, and sometimes 1. Track 3 is used westbound only

Mainline: QUEENS-DIVIDE
AM: local trains to NY/Bklyn primarily use track 1, express trains use tracks 1&2.
PM: most trains use track 2from NY/Bklyn, a few trains use track 1.

Mainline: DIVIDE-FARM
AM: trains can short-turn at Farmingdale using either track, express trains use unoccupied tracks
PM: trains can short-turn at Farmingdale using either track, express trains use unoccupied tracks

Mainline: CI
Most trains use platform B, adjacent to the main track, unless passing a train at CI which would board at platform A, adjacent to the siding

Port Jefferson: DIVIDE-HUNT
Trains can use either track to run past locals, which can stop on either track 1 or 2.

Port Jefferson: FOX, POST, STONY
Trains can use either track to pass a train on any other track. Trains board at platforms indicated in timetables

Montauk: Jamaica-BLISS
All LIRR trains primarily use track 1

Montauk: Jamaica-BABYLON
AM: trains that stop usually use track 1, non-stop sections often use track 2 (so a train making not stopping at MassPk, Mass, Seaford will use track 2 between AMITY VILLE and WANTAGH). Eastbound locals on track 2.
AM: trains that stop usually use track 2, non-stop sections often use track 1. Westbound locals on track 1.
 #1082907  by Backshophoss

Try to get to Mineola(Nassau Tower),where the Oyster Bay Branch breaks off.
Plenty of action passenger train wise,freights are mostly "night crawlers"
Believe all the signals in the area are still PL's.
Might even catch the twr op hoopping up form "L"s
There are plenty of grade crossings to shoot from.
Area is "Safe" to be in.
Expect movement on any track/any time/any direction
Mainline,Jay-Divide is CTC/261/ASC(cab signals)
 #1082936  by MattAmity90

I would say that these are the best spots for LIRR Photography:

New Hyde Park: Express trains and horn action due to the 3 grade crossings.
Mineola: Tons of Express trains, and a ton of diesel.
Amityville: You can switching action at Amityville Interlocking West of the station, might even see Massapequa Park if you look hard enough, good amount of express, and you can see Copiague from the East end of the platform.
Valley Stream: Tons of switching action, many trains from different points of origin, and good Express trains on the two Northern tracks.
Lindenhurst: You can see for miles to the West and East. Plus it adds a nice Sunset opportunity against the power lines and elevated viaduct.
 #1082964  by Amtrak7

According to my 2004 ETT there is no PM wrong-railing of the Montauk Branch (VALLEY-BABYLON) but extensive wrong-railing in the AM peak.
 #1083149  by LB

Photography location depends on if you want to photograph trains or stations. If you want nice depot shots, try the Hempstead, Oyster Bay and Far Rockaway Branches. If you want lots of fast trains with all the bells and whistles, New Hyde Park during AM or PM rush is the place!
 #1083245  by MattAmity90

LB wrote:Photography location depends on if you want to photograph trains or stations. If you want nice depot shots, try the Hempstead, Oyster Bay and Far Rockaway Branches. If you want lots of fast trains with all the bells and whistles, New Hyde Park during AM or PM rush is the place!
Oh yeah LB, I have to agree with you on that, Mineola is not that bad either. Now I know exactly why you love the fact that New Hyde Park is just like an old Babylon Branch station at grade level. You know, I actually hope that they don't elevate the station, just eliminate the crossings. I love the constant bells ringing, and the engineers just nailing the horn lever all the way down with the high beam headlights at 70-80 MPH. The only thing that I would do to New Hyde Park though is either install an underground pedestrian cross under tunnel or a pedestrian bridge so that people don't have to cross the tracks because there are a ton of commuters that ignore the flashing lights, especially at New Hyde Park Road.
 #1083462  by lilbluefoxie

Valley Stream is a decent photo location but its a ghetto area so be careful.
Wantagh is pretty good as well, Massapequa has nice columns.
Long Beach is interesting with the drawbridge
Broadway is an interesting stop with the Korean billboards near the station
Mineola is good but a bit overdone in my opinion
Hicksville is decent, wait at the West end of the platform its uncanopied and easier to get photos at.
I like Country Life Press and Westwood stations as well, they have an interesting feel to them since they are quiet and surrounded by houses.
Oyster Bay Branch is really nice everywhere
Montauk branch I like Bay Shore and Sayville, Bay Shore is a bit iffy so be careful.
Bethpage is nice too.
As for the NYC stops, I recommend Woodside and Kew Gardens. Do not venture into East NY or Nostrand stations unless you are fearless.
 #1083527  by Crabman1130

Go to Google earth and take a virtual tour of the system. That should give you an idea of what you might expect to find.

The bridge over Shinnecock Canal is a good place too.
 #1083531  by gprimr1

I did some scouting online but one issue I was having was figuring out the tracks they use.

I'm enjoying the tips here, thank you.

And I always carry the letter from the MTA about the legality of photography. :)
 #1083548  by bellstbarn

Others have given marvelous advice. Might I add two cents about sunlight? One of the problems on Long Island is that the sun often faces the lens of your camera during busy hours. Sure, there are ways to get around it, but most of the interesting morning traffic runs west, and most of the interesting afternoon traffic runs east. I find myself taking photos from the shade of a bridge or canopy.
----
It's been a long time since I tried to see the morning "race" between Hicksville and Floral Park, when both tracks are westbound. As soon as the eastbound clears Hicksville about 6:48 a.m., you can see challenges between trains on tracks 1 and 2.
 #1083676  by M1 9147

Ok since I haven't said much, now is my time. I do shots mostly in diesel territory such as St. James, Port Jefferson, Sayville, Oakdale, Smithtown, Northport, Riverhead, and electric spots such as Ronkonkoma, Deer Park, Huntington, but go to other areas on times that permit. I love Mineola but be careful since I've seen cases like the guys at Nassau Tower do keep a very good eye and call MTAPD. Merillon Avenue is near where relatives live which great for trains that do MAS there, and have done lots of photos there without distraction. If you love elevated track shots, Floral Park, Babylon, and Hicksville are prime spots as well. Babylon just be careful as supervision does watch from their booths on platform.
 #1088002  by Sir Ray

lilbluefoxie wrote:Valley Stream is a decent photo location but its a ghetto area so be careful
Ghetto area? WRONG!
I know Valley Stream, I was raised there, my mother still lives there and I visit very often, living nearby. Calling it a "Ghetto area" is total nonsense, a complete lie. The village itself is a nice middle class area. Not sure what possibly gave you this crackpot idea, blue-fox, unless you're thinking of Green Acres mall from the 1980s (which even then wasn't all that bad, and it's quite safe now even if the store selection is meh - I visit the Mall, and the nearby Home Depot and Wal*Mart etc quite often).
Valley Stream station is as safe as other South Shore Nassau stations like Lynbrook or RVC or Baldwin, so the OP and others can photograph at VS as safely as those stations. The other Valley Stream station, Gibson is safe too.
 #1088164  by njtmnrrbuff

Valley Stream is very safe. However, in terms of photography, there's only one platform, and it's configured in way to serve only the trains heading to Far Rockaway. It's probably a better afternoon spot lightingwise since the railroad runs in an northwest orientation.

Even the station itself in Hempstead is pretty safe, but don't wander into the surrounding neighborhoods there. They are not safe. The city as a whole is dangerous.
 #1088183  by SwingMan

Well if you want to know a place that isn't safe, go to New York City! I hear it's a bad place!

If you mind your Ps and Qs, most places are safe. If you don't explore, you won't get to experience the entire world...