Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1544837  by RGlueck

Hoping to make this s singular topic rather than to tag it.

Apparently Nassau Tower, a pilgrimage icon on the LIRR, is to be euthanized in the next few weeks? Has anyone discussed with the railroad, preservation of significant items from the tower? Has any authorized historian examined the crawl spaces, store rooms, etc., for items of historical importance? I harbor the hope that her keystone name plate is squirreled away in some recess. Old framed photos, posters, tools, oil cans, lanterns?

It's a heartache to know she's going under.
Attachments:
NassauTwr121669_004.jpg
NassauTwr121669_004.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 3679 times
LIRR601B.JPG
LIRR601B.JPG (608.47 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
 #1544863  by MACTRAXX

RG and Everyone:

With the precarious condition of Nassau Tower a move attempt could cause more damage
or even the risk of outright collapse of this structure. Taking note to this artifacts from the
Tower that can be preserved and salvaged by historical organizations (Mineola Historical
Society and OBRM naming two) along with co-operation from the LIRR should be an
option for those that are interested.

Let's hope that something to preserve the legacy of Nassau Tower can be accomplished
before it is too late...MACTRAXX
 #1544871  by njtmnrrbuff

The tower should be relocated rather than destroyed. The building isn't in the worst shape. Maybe put it at one of the railroad museums on Long Island-my first choice would be Oyster Bay.
 #1544875  by Backshophoss

Nassau Tower is a "shell" of Armstrong frame birth,reduced to a Maintainer's Board that will be unplugged and moved to one of the signal Huts nearby and remoted to JSCC.
Lord knows how badly the lower relay room was hacked up to install new signal hardware. or how the foundation was drilled thru for new conduits.
The structure may not be salvageable PD was in far better shape when razed years ago after remoted to Babylon East desk
Somewhere the original board and Locurt's remote board is hidden in a whse .
 #1544876  by nyandw

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:01 pm The tower should be relocated rather than destroyed. The building isn't in the worst shape. Maybe put it at one of the railroad museums on Long Island-my first choice would be Oyster Bay.
And the money, motivation from the public at large, the LIRR, and the local pols are not there; even if was structurally sound to be moved... It will meet the same demise of PD Tower and in the future B Tower, I'm afraid.
 #1544877  by nyandw

Backshophoss wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:53 pmNassau Tower is a "shell" of Armstrong frame birth,reduced to a Maintainer's Board that will be unplugged and moved to one of the signal Huts nearby and remoted to JSCC.Lord knows how badly the lower relay room was hacked up to install new signal hardware. or how the foundation was drilled thru for new conduits.The structure may not be salvageable PD was in far better shape when razed years ago after remoted to Babylon East deskSomewhere the original board and Locurt's remote board is hidden in a whse .
Yes... :-(
 #1544900  by newkirk

RGlueck,
Are those two photo yours ? Awesome images.
Here's my contribution to this topic.
Attachments:
November 16, 1992     W. Mangahas photo
November 16, 1992 W. Mangahas photo
IMAGE01.JPG (243.13 KiB) Viewed 3489 times
 #1544901  by RGlueck

Newkirk, yes they are. I was able to shoot a number of trains from Nassau, back in the early 70's. I can assure you, my colleagues and I took scores, and theirs are better than mine! In those days it was all ALCO and scrambled MU cars. Every train was different and worth waiting to see. The tower gave a photographer the angle on equipment which was hard to get otherwise. Perhaps some of those other guys will see the topic and cough up their pictures as well.
 #1544913  by Pensyfan19

Those are great images which have been contributed. Here is a video of ate 1990s railfanning taken from Nassau tower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVhNvfW-4RM

One of the images in particular included LIRR 601, which is currently undergoing restoration at the SMS Rail lines Shops in New Jersey. (Anyone happen to have any info about how the restoration project is doing for that engine?)

Also, how will this affect the proposed Mineola railroad Museum? Is that proposal still alive to convert the substation into a museum with a preserved LIRR MP15, caboose and NYAR GP38 with Nassau Tower behind it?

Links to proposals:
https://mineolaamerican.com/2018/08/pre ... sau-tower/
https://www.facebook.com/MineolaRailroadMuseumProposed/
 #1544921  by MACTRAXX

RGlueck wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:49 pm Newkirk, yes they are. I was able to shoot a number of trains from Nassau, back in the early 70's. I can assure you, my colleagues and I took scores, and theirs are better than mine! In those days it was all ALCO and scrambled MU cars. Every train was different and worth waiting to see. The tower gave a photographer the angle on equipment which was hard to get otherwise. Perhaps some of those other guys will see the topic and cough up their pictures as well.
RG and BM: These are three interesting pictures posted about
the Nassau Tower subject in this topic:

1-Oyster Bay-bound train with RS3 1552 (note the switch points)
The date: December 16, 1969 from the Nassau Tower window facing
west towards Mineola Station. For about a decade (mid 60s-mid 70s)
the LIRR literally was an all-ALCO diesel railroad.

2-Power Unit #601 (the original six FA power units were #601-606) on
the east end of a Jamaica-bound train on the Main Line in the original
as-delivered blue and white color scheme. This dates the picture to the
second half of 1971 into 1972. At some point in 1972 yellow was added
on the lower front ends of the power units. The LIRR would discover in
the initial service that placing the power units on the west end of trains
made servicing and maintaining locomotives easier.

3-AM Peak Train #1501 from East Williston - the only train using the
short electrified segment of the Oyster Bay Branch - arrives at Mineola.
The East Williston electrification was once used to turn electric MU
trains to or from Penn Station and Brooklyn back before the Mineola-
Huntington electrification was built and extended in 1970. #1501 is
the last remaining remnant of that older pre-1970 electric service
which still operates today...MACTRAXX
 #1544932  by RGlueck

Maxxtrak, you are one smart train-watcher! The 601 shot was on the first day of service, mid-morning as I recall. I was a student at Nassau Comm. College and took time from in between classes to get the shot. I did take the first in service shot earlier that morning (1:00AM) in Syosset, which has been reprinted many times.

Regarding the restoration of 602 and 601, I can only tell you, with the owner's permission, they are close to completion, with 602 just about done and operable. 602 needs brake work, but is likewise very close to completion. 611 and 614 are being cleaned up and getting service, but are not yet the focus of attention.
 #1544934  by RGlueck

Just found two more shots around Nassau. The C420 was taken the same day as the RS3 1552 shot, the P54's turning into the Oyster Bay line was shot one evening while waiting for parlor car expresses to pass. Enjoy.
Attachments:
LIRR Parlors1968012.jpg
LIRR Parlors1968012.jpg (335.28 KiB) Viewed 3298 times
NassauTwr121669_001.jpg
NassauTwr121669_001.jpg (756.5 KiB) Viewed 3298 times
 #1544935  by Backshophoss

The substation and Nassau Tower are in the path for the 3rd Main,substation is toast due to PCB's contamination.