Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1496576  by lpetrich

New Metro staff report on transit line renaming | The Source (2018 Sep 14)
Metro Once Again Considers Renaming Rail and BRT Lines | Urbanize LA (2018 Sep 17)
What will Metro call its new train lines? - Curbed LA (2018 Sep 18)
Metro Moves Ahead with Changes to How They Name Rail/BRT – Streetsblog Los Angeles (2018 Nov 20)
LA Metro to give train lines letter names - Curbed LA (2018 Dec 7)
Because they’re out of colors, LA Metro will rename all its train lines and rapid busways with letters in 2019 – Daily News (2018 Dec 13)

Because they have run out of easily-distinguished colors, and because numbers could be easily confused with platform numbers, bus numbers, and highway numbers. Here are some likely renamings:
  • Blue Line, northern Gold Line: A Line
  • Red Line: B Line
  • Part of Green Line: C Line
  • Purple Line: D Line
  • Expo Line, eastern Gold Line: E Line
  • Orange Line: F Line
  • Silver Line to South Bay: G Line
  • Crenshaw/LAX, part of Green Line: J Line
 #1496649  by lensovet

i get why new york uses A-Z plus 1-9. They have that many lines.

LA though? Awful. Presumably they will still have individual colors, so it's not like the colors are going away. They could also use normal names like "Crenshaw Line".
 #1497635  by tomj

I live around San Francisco and BART lines are named, not referred to by color or a letter designation. I understand Muni's naming structure of "Letter/Number-Street name" like N-Judah or 38-Geary, but just referring to a line by color or letter and not by where it goes is just confusing to me.
 #1497663  by andrewjw

tomj wrote:I live around San Francisco and BART lines are named, not referred to by color or a letter designation. I understand Muni's naming structure of "Letter/Number-Street name" like N-Judah or 38-Geary, but just referring to a line by color or letter and not by where it goes is just confusing to me.
I bet you hate New York, Paris, London, Chicago, and DC then, haha.
 #1497787  by Backshophoss

Remember NYCTA is made up of 3 different systems, IRT, BMT, and IND. 2 were private (IRT, BMT) and 1 was city owned (IND)
All became City owned over time,after MTA took over,all 3 systems finally merged into one!
 #1497817  by andrewjw

Backshophoss wrote:Remember NYCTA is made up of 3 different systems, IRT, BMT, and IND. 2 were private (IRT, BMT) and 1 was city owned (IND)
All became City owned over time,after MTA took over,all 3 systems finally merged into one!
They have been merged for long enough that this distinction has no pertinence to the naming discussion, at least to the general public.
The London Underground names its lines, but the names don't indicate where the line goes - not much different from New York.
There is not much difference between boarding an "N Judah" train and a "B to Brighton Beach" train. Whether the destination is a part of the name or included as a subtitle should not determine your ability to use it for navigation.
 #1498477  by tomj

andrewjw wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:Remember NYCTA is made up of 3 different systems, IRT, BMT, and IND. 2 were private (IRT, BMT) and 1 was city owned (IND)
They have been merged for long enough that this distinction has no pertinence to the naming discussion, at least to the general public.
The London Underground names its lines, but the names don't indicate where the line goes - not much different from New York.
There is not much difference between boarding an "N Judah" train and a "B to Brighton Beach" train. Whether the destination is a part of the name or included as a subtitle should not determine your ability to use it for navigation.
There is a difference though, "N-Judah" signifies that is travelling along Judah Ave just like the 38-Geary travels Geary Blvd. Its not a huge difference, but they denote the street a plurality of the line runs. So in San Francisco at least, they are some what used for navigation or at least can be. From what I understand, the Market Street Railway and Key System had similar naming conventions.
 #1498590  by ExCon90

I think the Key System transbay routes were named by destination. Market St. Ry. followed a unique (?) practice by naming the Market St. routes according to the street on which they left Market: 5/McAllister, 6/Haight-Masonic, 7-Haight, 8-Castro, and 21-Hayes, regardless of the street which made up the majority of the route. (Although the 7 and 21 actually ran mostly on the streets named, while the 8 operated entirely on Market and only ran a block on Castro to terminate.) The answer to the situation lies in having clear, well-designed maps widely available.
 #1500485  by Ridgefielder

andrewjw wrote:
It does to some extent. The "number" lines are ex-IRT, the "letter" lines ex-BMT & IND. The loading gauge on the IRT is smaller than on the BMT/IND, so it uses different equipment. Note that some "names" also still linger in the NYC Subway for trains heading into the outer boroughs-- i.e. "F Sixth Avenue Express / Culver Local."
 #1500945  by andrewjw

Ridgefielder wrote:
andrewjw wrote:
It does to some extent. The "number" lines are ex-IRT, the "letter" lines ex-BMT & IND. The loading gauge on the IRT is smaller than on the BMT/IND, so it uses different equipment. Note that some "names" also still linger in the NYC Subway for trains heading into the outer boroughs-- i.e. "F Sixth Avenue Express / Culver Local."
My point was that the IRT/IND/BMT distinction has no meaning to the general public. You make a good point about the line designations which are present on the side of the cars and on the station platforms, though.