Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1531372  by NS VIA FAN

I've always enjoyed a winter train ride and especially through a snow storm when it's warm and cozy on board. So with some vacation time to use and a storm expected.....I booked a trip on VIA's OCEAN...... 840 miles overnight to Montreal.

With the snow due to arrive that night....I headed out in the afternoon for the 2 hr drive to YHZ the Halifax International Airport where I dropped my car off as I would be returning by plane.....then took the Metro-X bus downtown. I was staying at the Westin Nova Scotian Hotel.....a former CN Hotel directly connected inside to the adjacent VIA Station and an easy walk to the train in the morning.

Departure was ontime at 1pm and I was quite surprised we didn't have more on board as out at the Airport there were lots of cancellations and delays posted (below). We had around 10 in the sleepers and 30 in coach but the train did fill considerably from Moncton and west. Maritime Bus/Coach Atlantic that shares the Station with VIA had a bus boarding for New Brunswick at the same time but I think I'd rather be on the train in a storm!

First call to lunch came at 1:15. I had the Ocean's signature Seafood Chowder along with Chicken a la King. And keep in mind....there is no chef on the train. All meals are pre-prepared by a caterer, chilled then reheated on board in convection ovens.....not microwaves and IMHO very good!

I was able to snag a Cabin for 2 with Shower in one of the Renaissance Sleepers and IMHO a better ride and better amenities than in an older Budd Chateau Sleeper. The tight-seal between Ren cars also permits a continuous passage without doors & vestibules through the Ren section of the consist.....and particularly nice in winter vs having to step outside to the vestibule between the Budd Sleepers.

Now for a lazy afternoon up in the Park Car Dome......with complementary coffee, tea and snacks as we rolled through the storm.

We were ontime into Moncton...…

....... and a few minutes to get off to record our 19 car consist. Today's train was mixed Budd-Renaissance equipment:

2 F40PH3s
1 Budd Baggage
4 Budd Coaches
1 Ren Transition
1 Ren Coach
1 Ren Service/Lounge
1 Ren Diner
1 Ren Service/Lounge
2 Ren Sleepers
1 Ren Transition
5 Budd Chateau Sleepers
1 Budd Dome Obs 'Revelstoke Park'

Second call to dinner was at 7:30 and I had the Pecan Crusted Chicken along with Chocolate-Caramel Cake for dessert.

North of Bathurst the night sky cleared and sitting up in the Dome it was almost as bright as day with the full moon on the fresh snow. Near Charlo you can look 20km across the Baie de Chaleur to the lights along the Gaspe coast.

Time for bed and with the time zone change from Atlantic to Eastern, I got an extra hour sleep...waking as we were sitting in Joffre yard a half-hour early. We had to wait for VIA #33 before we could head out on the single track across the Quebec Bridge to our stop in suburban Sainte-Foy.

'Mom's Scrambled Eggs' was on the menu for breakfast.......then up into the Dome for coffee on a sunny morning.

In this view below I caught the shadow of the Park Car looking very much like a Burlington Zephyr 'Shovel Nose' as we raced across the frozen Quebec landscape.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Z ... stcard.JPG

Arrival into Gare Central Montreal was 5 minutes early at 0958

#1531556  by NaugyRR

Awesome photo report, thank you so much for sharing!
 #1531660  by exvalley

Great trip report. I am doing this trip in reverse this May. I will be parking at the Montreal airport and flying back from Halifax. I am very impressed with how cheap airfares are from Halifax to Montreal. To make matters a little more interesting, I paid a couple more dollars to fly from Halifax to St. John on a B1900 and then on to Montreal from there.

My only concern with the dining on the Ocean is that I don't eat seafood. It looks like the only soup they offer is fish chowder, so no soup for me.
 #1531661  by NS VIA FAN

exvalley wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:29 pm My only concern with the dining on the Ocean is that I don't eat seafood. It looks like the only soup they offer is fish chowder, so no soup for me.
The Seafood Chowder was at lunch only. It was Tomato Vegetable.....thick and good at the evening meal.

If you're heading out to the airport from downtown.....use Halifax Transit. A lot cheaper than a taxi.

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default/fi ... _Aug18.pdf

And enjoy the ride over to Saint John on the Beech 1900D. These are operated by EVAS Exploits Valley Air Services for Air Canada