Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1477009  by marquisofmississauga

At the so-called "public meeting" in May, VIA'S CEO indicated there was going to be a new slower schedule to be introduced during the current peak season. These have now been published on VIA's Website. The start date of the new times is not shown (unless I missed it). It is the 26th of July for train #1 and the 27th for train #2.

https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/ ... couver.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/ ... oronto.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1479046  by Gilbert B Norman

Hope they put enough "slop" into that schedule. Just as glad I rode The Panorama during '65 when the Winnipeg-Vancouver Roomette fare was CD$65. Funny how it left Winnipeg about 10AM and arrived Vancouver also about 6PM. Only diff; there wasn't 24 hours of additional schedule time.

Who but well heeled tourists are going to ride nowadays? It's useless for anyone who simply wants to get from "Ehh" to "Bee" with reasonable dispatch.
 #1479063  by mdvle

I don't know that there is a market for non-tourist use of the Canadian even if the schedule was better.

Greyhound just announced that effective October(?) they are cancelling all bus service outside of Ontario / Quebec except for 1 Vancouver - US route as the buses on the prairies/BC have been losing money for years.

If Greyhound can't make it then there is no way a train running 3 days a week will be considered viable, and even if the Canadian ran daily 1 train a day won't be attractive.

What could be interesting, not that we will ever know, if the often wished for Calgary - Edmonton train service could be viable given a bus apparently isn't.
 #1479099  by Mark0f0

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Hope they put enough "slop" into that schedule. Just as glad I rode The Panorama during '65 when the Winnipeg-Vancouver Roomette fare was CD$65. Funny how it left Winnipeg about 10AM and arrived Vancouver also about 6PM. Only diff; there wasn't 24 hours of additional schedule time.

Who but well heeled tourists are going to ride nowadays? It's useless for anyone who simply wants to get from "Ehh" to "Bee" with reasonable dispatch.
The $599 student passes will keep at least foreign students in the coaches. Kind of an unfortunate introduction to Canada though.
 #1482525  by mdvle

From VIA's first quarter 2018 report passenger numbers on the Canadian are down 12.7% compared to the first quarter of 2017.

VIA blames this on the schedule issues, and says it is mainly in Economy class and passengers who only rode for part of the trip.

Otherwise revenue is up $0.3 million (6.7%) mainly thanks to sleeper and Prestige class passengers.
 #1482553  by Mark0f0

mdvle wrote:From VIA's first quarter 2018 report passenger numbers on the Canadian are down 12.7% compared to the first quarter of 2017.

VIA blames this on the schedule issues, and says it is mainly in Economy class and passengers who only rode for part of the trip.

Otherwise revenue is up $0.3 million (6.7%) mainly thanks to sleeper and Prestige class passengers.
Will a refurbished Economy Class fix anything? Would VIA actually have the foresight to install airline-style lie-flat seats instead of just re-upholstering the current seats?

When you can buy Toronto-Vancouver on Air Canada or WestJet for $250 each way, its increasingly problematic to pay $600 + food to spend 4 days on a heavily delayed train in an Economy seat that has very little integration with other forms of transportation.
 #1482582  by bdawe

I suspect that economy passengers really want a cheaper and more timely train much more than they want a refurbished train.

With the new schedule I've been thinking of taking a joy-ride up to Kamloops, which with the departure from Vancouver at noon means Fraser Canyon by daylight.

But then I need to get back from Kamloops
 #1482596  by Mark0f0

bdawe wrote:I suspect that economy passengers really want a cheaper and more timely train much more than they want a refurbished train.
Well they're getting a refurbished train. It was announced, a contract was given to an outfit in La Pocatiere, QC.

But will that address any of the underlying issues? Or will they just be left with an empty Economy Class with leather seat coverings, handicapped accessibility, and some new LED lighting instead of the worn out stuff that's in there now?

Cheaper -- I don't see how that could possibly happen. Unless they filled Economy up, which for long-haul is basically impossible as few people will accept sleeping overnight upright literally next to a stranger without some sort of physical barrier. That's why, maybe installing airline-style lie flat seats might address that issue. Or it could be, and probably is just a lost cause.

The new reservation system might help dynamically price the seats better than we have today as well.
 #1482761  by mdvle

VIA actually awarded 2 contracts for the coaches on the Canadian.

First, 17 coaches to Bombardier for upgrading to full accessibility standards (wheelchair lifts, wheelchair spaces, and accessible washrooms) along with the general upgrades (upgrade electrical, heating/AC, interior changes, and wi-fi).

Second, 25 coaches to Cad Railway Industries for the same upgrades except the accessibility stuff.

Work to be done by 2020.